• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passport renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passport renewal

Anyone else considering getting their passport renewed before the biometric version becomes compulsory ?

I am applying this weekend

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
    Anyone else considering getting their passport renewed before the biometric version becomes compulsory ?

I am applying this weekend

When do the 'old' ones end?

Comment

Had to get mine renewed recently, ready for my holiday in a few weeks

Painless to do it online. Fill in the online form, they send you the docs pre-printed with your details/answers, you sign it, return the docs with your old passport and cheque (by special delivery to be sure it gets there), then a few weeks later they return your old passport with the cover defaced so it's supposedly useless, then your brand spank new one arrives ready for the jollies.

Thing is the new 10 year passports have a chip in them that's not guaranteed to last 10 years, especially if placed in situations like the ex-ray scanners at airports. You've got to love the government, they can screw us every which way and we just bend over and take it.
      "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
        When do the 'old' ones end?
        From 2010 an ID card will be issued with all new or renewed passport. If you want to put off getting an ID card, renew yer passport now

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
          Painless to do it online. Fill in the online form, they send you the docs pre-printed with your details/answers, you sign it, return the docs with your old passport and cheque (by special delivery to be sure it gets there), then a few weeks later they return your old passport with the cover defaced so it's supposedly useless, then your brand spank new one arrives ready for the jollies.
          A few weeks later?? And what do you do to travel in the meantime?
          God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Swim the channel?

You're supposed to plan ahead and not expect a government service to be efficient whatsoever. I thought 2-3 weeks wait was quite good all things considered.

If you're in a rush you can camp out at one of the passport offices. Don't know what type of entertainment they put on overnight though.
            "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
              Swim the channel?

You're supposed to plan ahead and not expect a government service to be efficient whatsoever. I thought 2-3 weeks wait was quite good all things considered.

If you're in a rush you can camp out at one of the passport offices. Don't know what type of entertainment they put on overnight though.
              I travel abroad every week. I do plan ahead but the plan always involves travelling.
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Better break out the sleeping bag then, unless you get lucky and the queue is only half a mile long.

That's assuming you need a new passport anytime soon. If it's a few years off till renewal they'll have brought out the forehead barcode system by then so you'll just need to find a local tattooist.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                  I travel abroad every week. I do plan ahead but the plan always involves travelling.
                  Say you lost it. The same as renewing it just you get to keep the original one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                    Say you lost it. The same as renewing it just you get to keep the original one.
                    Then when the new one turns up you can get a good few coin for the old one!
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X