• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ads with Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ads with Rates

I see lots of ads in Jobserve which come along with rates such as 400/day or something similar.How come agencies tell the rates out..does this mean that they are on fixed commission rate basis with the client?

Erm. No the client and the agent will agree a range of ideal rates. They put the rate there so that people know what level the job is and to stop it being a waste of time.

For examlpe there are a few out there for logistics analysts or solutions designers but they pay £30k p.a. etc. I am looking at £250/day min for home based and £350/day for elsewhere so whats the point in me looking at that role as its of no interest to me.

Otherwise you'd also have jobs for £650+ per day being applyed for by people who are more in the £650 per week category.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      Otherwise you'd also have jobs for £650+ per day being applyed for by people who are more in the £650 per week category.
      ITYF that advertising the rate does not stop this.

tim

Comment

I usually treat any ads providing rates with great scepticism, expecting it to be a fake ad to harvest some contacts/CVs, especially if the rate seems exceptionally good.

Maybe I'm just too cynical but I think many agents prefer to specify "market rate" or wait for you to contact them, then they can try to ask you what you think the market rate is and what you were on in your last position**. If the candidate goes in low they'll rub their hands at the margin they can make, if the candidate goes in high they'll look for cheaper candidates before putting the expensive one forward.

** I think that question (what was your last rate?) is also designed to help them gauge what the last client on your CV is likely to pay, plus the agent's margin of course! Plus it lets them gauge how cheap they might be able to get you. I always inflate my last rate by a suitable amount
        "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

If you don't specify a rate when submitting your CV (say via jobseve) - do you think this is putting you at a disadvantage?

Comment

No.

Never supply your rate. Always negotiate it.

Comment

Yeah wait till you've spoken to the agent so you know what the job actually entails. You might want to increase your rate if it turns out to be not as rosy as the advert suggests!
              "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

They will ask you two questions; What rate do you want and what rate will you accept.

Make sure you give them the same figure for both otherwise assume they will always take the latter...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                X