• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The State of British Policing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The State of British Policing

A neighbour down the road is still waiting after 4 days for a forensics officer to come, as advised by CID, regarding a garage burglary. He can't do any cleaning up since there are several footprints that might lead to an arrest. So his garage remains unsecured pending the police's arrival. 4 days FFS!
    Very positive
    0.00%
    Faily positive
    4.17%
    Slightly positive
    4.17%
    Neutral
    16.67%
    Slightly negative
    12.50%
    Fairly negative
    25.00%
    Very negative
    37.50%

The poll is expired.

What will he gain even if the police arrives ?
    A friend's house was burgled and police said it is unlikely that burgler will be caught and since then he is getting junk mail from homesecurity companies.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
      What will he gain even if the police arrives ?
      A friend's house was burgled and police said it is unlikely that burgler will be caught and since then he is getting junk mail from homesecurity companies.

"it is unlikely that burgler will be caught " seems to be an admission that the police think there's no hope even before an investigation has begun. I guess this is the thing that infuriates people - a police force with a shoulder-shrugging approach to the job

Comment

I had to wait 4 days for forensics when my flat was burgled years ago.

They sent two PCs round on the day. One was okay, but the other was thicker than two short planks have an extra-thick day. Both me and his colleague were embaressed for him as he asked "do I write today where it says 'Date'"?

I did get a letter months later saying somebody already in jail had confessed to other burgluries including mine, but they weren't going to prosecute him further for the additional crimes. So they did kind of get the guy.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

When my car was broken into I reported it and was given a CAD number. Not being well up on matters relating to insurance claims and police procedures I rang the next day to see when I could get a crime ref number. The guy literally shouted at me because he was 'doing the best he could with the staff (2) that he had' This dispite the fact I could hear him laughing and joking with his staff when he left the phone to check some details for 5 mins.

Then I got a call from the police who wanted me to list the things which were taken. A few days later I got a letter saying that the crime had been investigated but that there was little likelyhood of any positive outcome. This was the part which annoyed me. I wasn't expecting them to actually do anything, but implying that the copper taking down the details was an investigation is a joke. I would much rather they were honest and say that in circumstances as mine there was little they could do.

Not once did I meet a copper in this dispite the thief getting away with a largish haul from the boot of my car.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
            A few days later I got a letter saying that the crime had been investigated but that there was little likelyhood of any positive outcome.
            Yes I got several of those when my car kept getting broken into. I gave up reporting it after a while. I also gave up getting the locks fixed on my car, and I'd just leave it unlocked on the street but they'd still come along and stick a screwdriver in it and damage it some more.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Going up to Scotland last year, the missus was driving and I had the seatbelt undone. We passed a police car and I did my belt up pronto but about 5 miles further on the policeman pulled us over.
              He started going on about safety and seatbelts, about how he was retiring in a year. Then he started going on about how he hated to give us a ticket for such a minor thing and how he was retiring soon.
              Then he got his book out and started to write the ticket all the while saying how much he hated this, how nice we were and how he was retiring soon.
              After a pause of about 30 seconds silence, he put his book away and said 'oh I cant do this' so we drove on.
              My missus thought it was very nice of him, I thought he was after a bung, for his retirement. My missus called me a cynical git.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                A neighbour down the road is still waiting after 4 days for a forensics officer to come, as advised by CID, regarding a garage burglary. He can't do any cleaning up since there are several footprints that might lead to an arrest. So his garage remains unsecured pending the police's arrival. 4 days FFS!
                We have policing in this country? Must have missed it, when was it?

Comment

I was stopped by the fuzz after going a bit fast down a dual carriage-way and not spotting them parked up on a sliproad waiting for some mug to come flying past.

Copper comes to car window: "Right we've been following you for several miles and it's evident you were speeding. I'm knocking off in 5 minutes so if you can give me a reason that I haven't heard before I'll let you off with a caution."

Me: "My wife left me last year for a copper and I thought you were bringing her back."

Got off with a caution.

It's the way that I tell em to be sure, to be sure.
                  "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
                    We have policing in this country? Must have missed it, when was it?
                    Spit some chewing gum on the pavement and you'll soon find out. Any serious crimes are ignored for the revenue generating ones. Unlike a murphy's I'm bitter.
                    "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Working...
                    X