• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trying to get into Java J2EE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get into Java J2EE

Hi I'm new here

Does anyone have any tips on getting a foot in the door with Java J2EE work?

I have applied for loads of contracts on Jobserve in London but no-one ever gets back to me.

I have 6 months experience using Java - mainly the core language and not so much of your JSP, EJBs etc.

Most of the time I think it's the agencies that won't forwards your CV unless there is a perfect match on all skills... Any advice appreciated

I hear Wipro are recruiting in Banglalore. They also have a great health servive and transport system there.

Comment

With 6 months experience you should have no trouble getting into any top paying job.

Maybe your c.v. is letting you down?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
        With 6 months experience you should have no trouble getting into any top paying job.

Maybe your c.v. is letting you down?
        Possibly. It has Java at the top - with Swing, threads and JDBC.

Should I lie...?

Or do you just need to chase these lazy agents up the whole time?

Comment

I think you are over experienced with 6 months, maybe you need to up your rate to 1k a day or go straight to Sun and take over technical leadership.

Comment

OK OK I know 6 months is not that much...

but how to get the experience in the first place...

Comment

you won't - or at least not as a contractor.

try permie jobs.

Comment

Ah, thanks I suspected as much.

I am trying for permie jobs too. It's going to kill my bank balance for 6 months or so.

Comment

Originally posted by SoupDragon

I am trying for permie jobs too. It's going to kill my bank balance for 6 months or so.
                  If you have the skills, lie. Say you have done it commercially. If you don't, don't bother - you'll only look like a twat when you can't come up with the goods...

As you appear not to have the skills, I would be inclined to try and find a gig which are using the skills that you have, but intend to start using the ones you want.

Good luck.
                  The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by SoupDragon

You'll need more than a years experience as well. 5 years is considered the minimum for a contract position. Bear in mind that since a lot of contractors in this area have around 10 years experience you are going to have an uphill battle trying to convince anyone to hire you with only 6 months to a years experience.
                    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                    X