• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non-domestic hosting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-domestic hosting

I'm having dreadful problems with my recently chosen hosting company and am looking for an alternative.

I have made the decision, based on expense, to go with a VPS with Plesk thrown in. Unfortunately I'm having problems finding a domestic company that supplies the above and looks as though they are trying to provide a professional service.

Some European and US providers do appear to fit the bill but are there any pitfalls I should avoid going this route?

Any issues with payments? I will use the company credit card and assume I will see a charge in £.

Any pointers anyone can offer?

No idea if it's any good, but http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/V...op&__lf=Static it's only £14.99 a month and includes Plesk.

Their shared hosting is tulipe, but we have a server with them which has been fine so far.

If your bandwidth isn't too high, I might be able to allow you to host on there. It's Windows/IIS.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
      I'm having dreadful problems with my recently chosen hosting company and am looking for an alternative.

I have made the decision, based on expense, to go with a VPS with Plesk thrown in. Unfortunately I'm having problems finding a domestic company that supplies the above and looks as though they are trying to provide a professional service.

Some European and US providers do appear to fit the bill but are there any pitfalls I should avoid going this route?

Any issues with payments? I will use the company credit card and assume I will see a charge in £.

Any pointers anyone can offer?

I host my website with Hostpointe (www.hostpointe.com) They're based in Maryland, USA

Flexible packages depending on need. I pay monthly by credit card in dollars and it amounts to about £5.18. You pay by the month, not a fixed one year contract. Shed loads of additional bolt-ons for free, excelent web stats, web mail spam filtering, auto-responders di da di da di da, never had a downtime and their support desk is 24/7 and extremely efficient. I know nothing about VPS with Plesk but you might want to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964
        No idea if it's any good, but http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/V...op&__lf=Static it's only £14.99 a month and includes Plesk.
        If you run a UK website and want it to well in Google UK then I would avoid 1 and 1 as they are based in Germany so you will do well in Google DE - I speak from experience here!

Bytemark are very good and do cheap VPS with Plesk, maybe not as cheap but then, their customer service is not based in Delhi...
        http://bytemark.co.uk/page/Live/host...virtualmachine

Comment

Would also avoid USA and other far flung places. Tried it once and the latency was shocking. You wouldn't think it took electricity that long to swim across the atlantic but it's definately noticable.

After trying various hosting companies I decided to co-locate my own server. Been very little problems over the last 5 years and only had to replace one hard-drive (raided so no big deal). I can do what I like on it too, but only really worth considering if you need the flexibility, security and don't have to worry about providing an SLA for 99.9% uptime for anyone's website you host.
          "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by chubba
            If you run a UK website and want it to well in Google UK then I would avoid 1 and 1 as they are based in Germany so you will do well in Google DE - I speak from experience here!

Bytemark are very good and do cheap VPS with Plesk, maybe not as cheap but then, their customer service is not based in Delhi...
            http://bytemark.co.uk/page/Live/host...virtualmachine
            Yes, they are German based however we haven't had any problems with Google rankings. We are top for our target search strings in Google.com in all the regional versions for the countries we target.

Comment

Been using 1and1 over last 5 months and very happy with their Root Server package , couple of times i needed to speak to someone technical and I had issues with helpdesk monkeys but no problems since then, even managed to rebuild linux kernel.. (thats what threw them when i asked for some details of hardware etc)
              mmmmm stella

Comment

Yep I use Bytemark, small company, good service.
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Thank you all.

I will have a nose at the suggestions.

Thanks for the offer PRC1964 but I am after a Linux system.

Comment

Working...
                  X