• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blimey: Climate Change, a wake-up call...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey: Climate Change, a wake-up call...

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle2465960.ece

'Australia has warned that it will have to switch off the water supply to the continent's food bowl unless heavy rains break an epic drought - heralding what could be the first climate change-driven disaster to strike a developed nation.',

cripes, maybe Australia is not the best place to emigrate to as many think !

Milan.

Not so much a disaster just bad planning, climate change is inevitable and expected.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
      http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle2465960.ece

'Australia has warned that it will have to switch off the water supply to the continent's food bowl unless heavy rains break an epic drought - heralding what could be the first climate change-driven disaster to strike a developed nation.',

cripes, maybe Australia is not the best place to emigrate to as many think !

Milan.
      what are you worried about milan everything is fine and australia is thousands of miles away (wish I could say the same for Australians)
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Oi MB, I thought you'd fecked off!

Comment

You have to plan for these things

If you have the dosh you plan capacity for a once in a 1000 year drought occurrence - i.e. no rain for 5 years

If you wanna take a chance you plan for a once in a 25 year occurrence i.e. no rain for a year

Same way we in a temperate country don't really plan or spend for heavy snow as we are very seldom affected and the costs cannot be justified. But some years the snow falls and we grind to a halt

Nothing to do with climate change more to do with being caught out by nature
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Supremo,

less of it, couldn't find anywhere else to go.

Interestingly in my absence things seems to return to a kind of normality, wonder if there is a pattern here ?

Milan.

Comment

Ironic when two thirds of the earth is covered by water.

You'd think salt water desemination was a viable option these-days. Mustn't be much money in it.
              "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                Supremo,

less of it, couldn't find anywhere else to go.

Interestingly in my absence things seems to return to a kind of normality, wonder if there is a pattern here ?

Milan.
                OK, let's try an experiment. You feck off for six months, go and build your swimming pool and we'll see how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  desalination?

No.

There's no money in it.

It costs a fortune in energy...

Hmmmmm, solar energy?

Hmmmm, gold....

Hmmmmm, minerals...

Comment

Just come back from Orlando where Floriday have just had their coldest Easter weekend in 32 years. We had to go out and buy jackets cos we only took t-shirts and shorts with us. Global warming?
                    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Working...
                    X