• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work after leaving a company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work after leaving a company

Hi

This isn't necessarily a contracting question but I'm hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction!

I'm leaving my current employer in a couple of weeks to start a new job. I may be doing a little bit of work for the current employer after I've started my new job. So... any ideas how I go about getting paid for this? I guess the easiest thing would be to stay on the payroll of the "old" company and get paid that way which will deal with the tax, etc., but is that possible? Can I be on the payroll of two companies? Presumably my new employer will want to see my P45 which I presumably would only get if I officially leave the company and are no longer on their payroll?

It's probably only going to be for a couple of months as the work will be on a system that will be replaced in 3 months or so.

thanks for any suggestions!

Dave

No real reason not to be on two payrolls, although it might be more elegant to sign up to the old company as a PAYE temp just to keep the records straight: the only real problem is keeping the tax correct, but if you're PAYE on both sides, they should be able to manage that for you.

The other route is to do the old company's work under a Purchase Order or equivalent as a direct supplier, take a gross payment on completion and put it on your next year's SA form to keep Hector quiet.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
    X