• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

I completed my first month of contracting under the banner of my Limited Company in March, for which I invoiced £9k+VAT.

This is my only taxable income for the 2006/7 financial year as the rest of my income was earned overseas for which I qualify as non-resident.

So...what would you do?

The most tax efficient option would appear to be as follows:

Pay myself salary of £5,035 and then a dividend of £3,965 on which my company would pay Corp Tax but I would not pay any personal tax...

However, this would mean I make no NI contribution for the year and does it also indicate that in the financial year 2007/8 I should be paying myself a salary of £5k per month?

My business plan (done in March last year prior to me incorporating in April last year) states that I would pay myself a salary of £1k per month for the first 2 years of trading...and my personal savings and any earnings outside of the company would suppliment this...should I therefore do a Director Loan and pay myself a one-off payment of £12K? Would this support me on any IR35 investigation going forward as it is evidence that I have a proper salary structure in place in accordance with a business plan? (I know this is an un-known and I don't want this to turn into an IR35 debate, just wondered what your thoughts were?)...also, whilst this may not seem like a very tax efficient way of doing things, it is probably better than it seems. In terms of 2006/7 fin year I would pay more tax, because in the 2007/8 fin year I will be into the higher tax bracket on divi payments, the return of loan will not be taxable (not sure I've explained this very well and not being a mathematical person I'm not sure it makes any sense either, so tell me if I am talking rubbish!)...

I have genuine business expansion plans for the next 2 years and am therefore taking my Limited very seriously, it is not just a tax efficiency tool. However, as with any company director, I have a responsibility to my shareholders (my children whom I hope to take over the company later on) to run the business as efficiently and cost effectivelyas possible.

So...back to the original question...what would you do?

I have an excellent accountant (Darren from 1st Accountancy who has already saved me a huge amount of money through some knowledge that no other accountant I've spoken to had) so interms of legitimacy and processing of anything I don't need any advice there...but I am hoping for some experienced contractor advice as you guys are the ones with experience of running your own businesses.

Cheers

Originally posted by NewBoy
    I completed my first month of contracting under the banner of my Limited Company in March, for which I invoiced £9k+VAT.

This is my only taxable income for the 2006/7 financial year as the rest of my income was earned overseas for which I qualify as non-resident.

So...what would you do?

The most tax efficient option would appear to be as follows:

Pay myself salary of £5,035 and then a dividend of £3,965 on which my company would pay Corp Tax but I would not pay any personal tax...

However, this would mean I make no NI contribution for the year and does it also indicate that in the financial year 2007/8 I should be paying myself a salary of £5k per month?

My business plan (done in March last year prior to me incorporating in April last year) states that I would pay myself a salary of £1k per month for the first 2 years of trading...and my personal savings and any earnings outside of the company would suppliment this...should I therefore do a Director Loan and pay myself a one-off payment of £12K? Would this support me on any IR35 investigation going forward as it is evidence that I have a proper salary structure in place in accordance with a business plan? (I know this is an un-known and I don't want this to turn into an IR35 debate, just wondered what your thoughts were?)...also, whilst this may not seem like a very tax efficient way of doing things, it is probably better than it seems. In terms of 2006/7 fin year I would pay more tax, because in the 2007/8 fin year I will be into the higher tax bracket on divi payments, the return of loan will not be taxable (not sure I've explained this very well and not being a mathematical person I'm not sure it makes any sense either, so tell me if I am talking rubbish!)...

I have genuine business expansion plans for the next 2 years and am therefore taking my Limited very seriously, it is not just a tax efficiency tool. However, as with any company director, I have a responsibility to my shareholders (my children whom I hope to take over the company later on) to run the business as efficiently and cost effectivelyas possible.

So...back to the original question...what would you do?

I have an excellent accountant (Darren from 1st Accountancy who has already saved me a huge amount of money through some knowledge that no other accountant I've spoken to had) so interms of legitimacy and processing of anything I don't need any advice there...but I am hoping for some experienced contractor advice as you guys are the ones with experience of running your own businesses.

Cheers

This is the sort of question I'd expect my accountant to be able to answer. My advice would be to sack Darren and get a competant accountant who will give you value for money (you are paying him for a service) and you wouldn't have to join the long queue of newbies who sit in front of their PC's writing out a question that turns into a tome. No offence sonny, but to reply to this question, I'd charge you £30/hr just to type out all the possible actions to take.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond...however, your suggestion about sacking Darren is a disgrace given that I haven't asked him for advice on this matter at this point and I was simply looking for a general consensus...

As for calling me sonny...suggest that in future you might wish to treat people on this board with a little more respect.

I'm sure that Darren will offer expert advice as and when I ask for it...I run my business and whilst I take advice from my accountant, I don't like to do it blindly, hence my question here first.

If there is anyone on this board that believes this is a forum for contractors to exchange thoughts and ideas then it would be great to hear from you.

Comment

I would:

- Lighten up a little

- I think you may have a little confusion. The 9k in March is not YOUR income it is your companies. Of course it may be that you fully understand the differences but just chose the word my for convenience.

- You cannot strictly do anything at all for the 2006/7 tax year. It has happened. Fact is you did not pay yourself any salary in 06/7 or any dividends. It is now too late (although it is not uncommon for this to happen after the financial year end this is probably false accounting).

- There are some artificial constructs that have been known to work. Depending upon exact status it may have been possible to have paid yourself a salary of say 100k for 06/07. This would have given you this without it being charged to UK tax - assuming you were really non resident. your company then has a thumping great tax loss to carry forward against future corporation tax. [No idea if this will still work but it used to a few years ago depending upon individual circumstances].

- Talk to you accountants sooner rather than later. Unfortunately since the tax year has ended you may only be able to discover what you should have done.

Comment

Thanks ASB...appreciate your advice...

Comment

Originally posted by NewBoy
            Thank you for taking the time to respond...however, your suggestion about sacking Darren is a disgrace given that I haven't asked him for advice on this matter at this point and I was simply looking for a general consensus...

As for calling me sonny...suggest that in future you might wish to treat people on this board with a little more respect.

I'm sure that Darren will offer expert advice as and when I ask for it...I run my business and whilst I take advice from my accountant, I don't like to do it blindly, hence my question here first.

If there is anyone on this board that believes this is a forum for contractors to exchange thoughts and ideas then it would be great to hear from you.
            Welcome to CUK, sonny. You'll find more like me here. It's no place for EMUs

Comment

Working...
            X