PDA

View Full Version : Dell vs Toshiba

eldove
7th May 2002, 14:39
Odd question perhaps but do any of you guys have any thoughts on which laptops are better as a rule, Toshibas or Dells?
I've always used a Toshiba, Ibut I'm about to buy a new one and a friend is harping on about getting a Dell...

Lynnj
7th May 2002, 15:09
I luurve my lifebook..... it's powerful, fast and beautiful.

eldove
7th May 2002, 15:20
oh nooo, don't add another one into the equation!

RobAnt
7th May 2002, 19:46
Doesn't matter to me - both Dell & Toshiba are good. Steer clear of Fujitsu (ICL) though (not necessarily because they make dodgy laptops though - heaven forbid - although their hard disks hate NetWare for some reason) :lol .

Actually I can't use either mouse option the pad (Dell) or the pokything in the middle of the keyboard wotsit (Toshiba) - I have to carry a trackball with me.

When are laptop manufacturers going to realise that they're a complete waste of time and money (and that awful big gab between the start of the laptop and the keyboard), and simply incorporate a mouse or a trackball on a spring cable reel, or built in radio receiver (al la logitech) or something. Oh sorry, have I suddenly let the cat out of the bag - who's got those ideas patented?

I got an Advent, and before that an Acer - both worked for me!

Karl1
7th May 2002, 21:49
Haven't had any problems with DELL inspiron 7500 - but it is a bit on the heavy side (although more recent models are lighter)

eldove
7th May 2002, 22:34
Cool. I'm thinking about the Inspiron 8200, I think it's quite light. I love the nipples actually, can't use those pads though.. total nightmare.
Thanks anyway guys

Mark Snowdon
8th May 2002, 09:06
Thanks Rob - I dont think.

Dell have some serious issues with reliability plus the customer service is abysmal. If choosing between dell and tosh - I would get the tosh.

Failing that Fujitsu are good - If you email me a spec I can price for Fujitsu, Acer and Samsung. (very good prices on Acer at the moment)

MArk
mark@snowdon.org

xoggoth
8th May 2002, 11:10
Got a Toshiba Notebook (Only a cheapo Satellite 1670) and not that impressed - the space key is heavy, the display not as good as my Mitac and sometimes it does not want to start up.

And that button thing leaves dents in my fingers. It's a crocodile's clitoris in my opinion.

eldove
8th May 2002, 13:38
I showed my pal your answers. He actually works for Dell and has this to say..

"Last year, and so this year, Dell to date have the lowest customer issue rates in the computer industry, we are the only!!!! computer company to keep growing in market share, which means were getting more customers. Also Dell has the most awards in the copmuter market for after sales services, and the one or two that get a bad experience are just a minut portion of the millions of systems we sell throughout Europe every year"..

ChevyChase
8th May 2002, 13:42
Dell customer service (unless you're a large corporate buyer) does suck BIG TIME.

Having said that - I've no problems with my Inspiron 8500.

Tosh's aren't bad either. It depends on what you want it for really.

Never buy any fuji kit.

Mark Snowdon
8th May 2002, 15:00
I have to say that everyone that I know personally who has bought dell over the last 18months has had problems with the kit or the service.

it may be a minute proportion of their sales - but its a big proportion of the people I know.

The last laptop I bough t from dell had a cracked case on delivery that took 2 weeks to sort (sort of - they replaced part of the case - but it was never right the case gapped open at the hinge), had the cd fail, that took ages to get the muppet on tech sup to accept it was broken. I know of many cases of HD failure.

RobAnt
8th May 2002, 20:21
hummm - my experience of Dell kit (laptop or no) has always been fairly good. I must have seen and installed 60 or so of them, and yes one or two have had problems, but on the whole they tend to be very well designed especially.

Tongariro
12th May 2002, 21:40
I use DELL and have always found them really reliable. Technical support lines are hopeless, but when you do get through they have always replaced or fixed the problem.

Having said that, send me the spec you want and I will quote either Tosh or Compaq if you like.

eek
12th May 2002, 22:17
Nowadays Dells are as reliable as anyone else and have larger screen resolutions than virtually anyone else, but they do seem to weigh more than others.

Depending on your price range I have to admit to liking the high resolutions Omnibooks and Evo N600s. Depends on how much you want to pay and how long until you plan to replace it tho (I usually find a laptop only lasts me 18 months or so).

sayuk
28th May 2002, 13:16
I've got a Compaq EVO N600, and love it! No problems in over 6 months, and it is quick and light. It's not as spec'd up as many others, but the expansion is there if you want it. Personally I have no use for Bluetooth, WiFi, blah blah blah. I just use a laptop on the other end of a crossover cable and that's it. Works fine.

The Dells seem to be a bit chunkier than others, and definitely feel heavier. They are NOT built very well, and seem to be very flimsy. Especially the lid. I've used a Latitude C600, and it was dreadful, along with crap drivers for Sound and Power Management. I won't be buying one anytime soon, unless I hear they have completely revamped their range. The reason they are doing so well is cos they are CHEAP. Nothing more.

Karl1
29th May 2002, 08:54
Having lost the hard drive on the laptop last week I cannot recommend Dell any more. The software is pre installed and the recovery disks for windows are pants.

BTY the hard drive was a fujitsu.

Draw your own conclusion but Dell wanted £275 +VAT for a replacement drive that I managed to get elsewhere for 69.99.

ghopson
30th May 2002, 09:54
Got a Dell Latitude - lots of problems over the last 12 months, including battery not charging, screen dimming, screen pulsing every second, noisy harddrive. I have given up on it and have sent it back. I found Toshibas in the past to be heavy, but I guess they have gotten more lightweight since.

I also have an Apple Titanium Powerbook for the last 15 months, and have not had a single problem with it (running MacOSX). This is now my primary laptop, and I wouldn't use anything else now. No good for win32 development, but that's not me. But if you are doing Java, the Powerbook is another option.

You only get a one button mouse tho :-)

Budgie
16th July 2002, 12:05
Bought a Tosh Satellite 214 a few months ago based on the good review it got in PCPRO - and I'm very pleased with it, especially in the graphics and multimedia abilities..

JoeTheCarioca
16th July 2002, 19:57
I have owned nothing but IBM Thinkpads since 1994. I have had no problems and good support when needed.

On the other hand, I am seriously considering an Apple Ti-Book. I do graphics and am favorably impressed with the company. In the USA, a consumer website considers Apple as a good computer company; most of the others, including Dell, have bad ratings for service.

You may also check that Register.co.uk story about how Microsoft may barge onto your system unwelcome and unannounced and install updates to your OS. I oppose this.

You can always get Virtual PC from Connectix if you have to do 'Windoze'.

Sysman
19th July 2002, 06:25
If you do, seriously consider going with OS 9 rather than OS X.

I bought an iBook because I wanted to avoid MS' intrusive policies, but I am less than impressed with the reliability of OS X. Put it this way - I don't trust my data to be safe until I have pushed it onto a different (non-Mac) system.

erixun
16th May 2006, 00:09
In reply to a few posts dissing Dell's bad customer service I must add a few personal cents.
I have been using Dells for the last 3 years and have had nothing but good experiences. I don't know if its because I only buy Latitudes or if its because I buy the on-site warranty, but they are right on the money whenever there is a problem. I treat my machines pretty rough being on the road a lot so they go thru a lot of bumps and weather extremes.
Once in Hawaii the harddrive crashed. After calling Dell, the next day there was a technician at my hotel room with a new drive who promptly replaced it and reloaded the operating system for me. I had access to all my install CD's and he went ahead and set up all my other software as well for no additional charge.
Another time in Stockholm, Sweden a few pixels right in the middle of the screen burned out. A call to Dell(USA) had a guy at the hotel the next day with a new screen which he installed in about 20 minutes.
So all in all I am very impressed with Dell and cannot find any other notebook manufacturer with that level of global on-site warranty for such a low price. Its just my experience and opinion but its Dell for me for now until someone else tops them.

Clavdivs
16th May 2006, 08:25
..so know we know what Dell sales guys are reading at 1 o'clock in the morning.

DaveB
16th May 2006, 08:39
Looks like someone is trawling the web for negative comments about dell and then rebutting them. Prolly a standard post as well.

Fron the language they are definately not UK based either. Definate colonial odour there.

TheMonkey
16th May 2006, 09:01
I have a Toshiba Satellite M50 - P4M 1.73GHz / 14" widescreen / Radeon / DVDRAM / 60Gb disk. Bought it from John Lewis the day it came out for £899.

Keyboard and touchpad are shite though - one crumb and they pack up.

HankWangford
16th May 2006, 09:57
I have a Toshiba Satellite M50 - P4M 1.73GHz / 14" widescreen / Radeon / DVDRAM / 60Gb disk. Bought it from John Lewis the day it came out for £899.

Keyboard and touchpad are shite though - one crumb and they pack up.

I've got a dell xps m170, cost £2300, 2.3Ghz, 2gb, 17 inch widescreen lightening fast for .net 2.0 sql server 2005 plus it has flashing neon lights. That was the deal clincher.

interested
16th May 2006, 10:40
I used to have a Toshiba, which was great until I spilt a load of red wine on it, I now have a Dell Latitude which is kind of OK.

Am seriously thinking of the 17" Macbook Pro for home use.

TheMonkey
16th May 2006, 11:11
I used to have a Toshiba, which was great until I spilt a load of red wine on it, I now have a Dell Latitude which is kind of OK.

Am seriously thinking of the 17" Macbook Pro for home use.

Latitudes were great - I got throught 5 of them in the day (XPS series).

MacBooks will burn your cock right off.

interested
16th May 2006, 14:41
Latitudes were great - I got throught 5 of them in the day (XPS series).

MacBooks will burn your cock right off.

Only going to use it on a desk and unfortunately my cock doesn't reach that far. Plus they've lowered the price and upped the spec today so it looks like a veritable bargain.

cojak
16th May 2006, 19:26
I've been using a client's Toshiba for the last 18 months. It's been ok but the batteries's run out of steam (only has about 30 mins stand-alone life before I have to find a socket) and now no longer shuts down normally. I'm backing up every night 'cos I'm not expecting it to wake up the next morning...

My Fujitsu is still going strong (I'll give it to hubby when I buy a new one later this year).

Spacecadet
16th May 2006, 19:49
In the space of 3 years i managed to get through 2 Dell latitudes, thankfully neither were paid for by me :D One of them stopped booting everytime, the other one suffered from a broken keyboard and mouse pad.

In their defence, I was a very heavy user, about 10+ hours a day every day almost including a few 36 hour stints. So they definitely got (ab)used a bit

TheMonkey
17th May 2006, 00:08
In the space of 3 years i managed to get through 2 Dell latitudes, thankfully neither were paid for by me :D One of them stopped booting everytime, the other one suffered from a broken keyboard and mouse pad.

In their defence, I was a very heavy user, about 10+ hours a day every day almost including a few 36 hour stints. So they definitely got (ab)used a bit

Sounds like my Toshiba - I'll take a photo of the thing when the digicam's batteries have charged up. It's completely worn out after only 6 months (8 - 14 hours a day usage). It's coated in silver paint that has worn down to the black plastic underneath, the touchpad has died and the keytops are all wearing out.

Cowboy Bob
17th May 2006, 07:31
I have a Thinkpad R51 (from 2004 when they were still made by IBM).

It's seen some heavy work, been dropped, and went flying down the centre aisle of a bus once when it had to brake heavily. The only thing wrong with it after that abuse is one dodgy pixel on the LCD. It's built like a tank, but still feels quite light. I wouldn't swap it for one of the cheaper brands for anything.

expat
17th May 2006, 10:22
I have a Thinkpad R51 (from 2004 when they were still made by IBM).

It's seen some heavy work, been dropped, and went flying down the centre aisle of a bus once when it had to brake heavily. The only thing wrong with it after that abuse is one dodgy pixel on the LCD. It's built like a tank, but still feels quite light. I wouldn't swap it for one of the cheaper brands for anything.Quite so. Why is a contractors' board discussing cheap gear?

Xenophon
18th May 2006, 13:59
Quite so. Why is a contractors' board discussing cheap gear?

Indeed.

As it happens I have just purchased a Dell XPS notebook and it is most satisfactory. Lovely 17'' widescreen and 1920x1200 resolution means a lot of desktop real estate to play with. Runs a lot quieter and cooler than my mate's Alienware thingy too.

GeorgeGregan
19th May 2006, 14:58
I bought a Dell Inspiron in 2001, slipped on ice and dropped it on concrete the first day I got it, which put a crack in the case, but it hasn't missed a beat and is now wifeys word processor.

Bought an Inspiron 9400 about a month ago and the hard disk died within two weeks. :tantrum:

Spartacus
23rd May 2006, 22:22
I bought a Dell Precision M50 a couple of years back. Nice 17" screen and has never given a moment's trouble, not even after being sent flying across the room when I tripped over the power lead.