• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unions: Valuable Service or 70's Relics?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unions: Valuable Service or 70's Relics?

Going through the BBC News 24 website this past couple of days, I can't help notice how militant unions are getting with strike threats over pay. Nursing unions are one and the teachers' unions is also threaening a ballot.

They seem only able to exist in the public and civil services plus those private companies that were once nationalised entities. The rest of us just get on with it.

Do unions provide a valuable service to their members or they the relics of the old ' management-worker, us and them' era?

Originally posted by Kyajae
    Going through the BBC News 24 website this past couple of days, I can't help notice how militant unions are getting with strike threats over pay. Nursing unions are one and the teachers' unions is also threaening a ballot.

They seem only able to exist in the public and civil services plus those private companies that were once nationalised entities. The rest of us just get on with it.

Do unions provide a valuable service to their members or they the relics of the old ' management-worker, us and them' era?

I used to be a member of UNISON some years ago. I got suspended over something so trivial and stupid. UNISON were absolutely sh1t in the help they provided. The steward couldn't tell her @rse fro her elbow and I had to get a solicitor friend to help me out. All for £13/month union subscriptions. I should have sued them for breach of contract.
    Life is one of those things alot of people find hard to avoid

Comment

I used to be in the AEEU and every year they would negotiate our pay rise, the union would ask for 6%, the company would say 2% and then we would settle for 4%... every bloody year this would happen, waste of time.

The union reps were all bought off with salary perks such as night shift allowance despite the fact they were never on nights, so corrupt as well.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
        I used to be in the AEEU and every year they would negotiate our pay rise, the union would ask for 6%, the company would say 2% and then we would settle for 4%... every bloody year this would happen, waste of time.

The union reps were all bought off with salary perks such as night shift allowance despite the fact they were never on nights, so corrupt as well.
        I guess without the union you would have ended up with 2% then?

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot
          Bravo Hart-floot - I didn't have the energy!
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

None of the unions I belonged to were of any use. They are eager to take your money, but there is no return.
            Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot
              I was pointing out the futility of it all, there's no reason why we couldn't have bargained as a collective without a union but the mentality was such that if you were not a member of the union no-one would talk to you.

We always voted to get rid of the contractor scum first when the company hit hard times!
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

They have their place...especially when it comes to protecting those who are most at risk, cleaners, nurses, teachers and contractors who post messages on this forum

Mailman

Comment

but those most as risk aren't allowed to be in a union
                  I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Working...
                  X