• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK economy 'skating on thin ice'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An influential forecast group is worried about the risks individuals, firms and ministers are taking with amounts borrowed. Ernst & Young's Item Club spring forecast said people are "overly relaxed about risk" and are "spending as if it was going out of fashion".

Club chief economic adviser Peter Spencer said: "The bottom line is that we are all living beyond our means."

"Ultimately we are all skating - not to say wobbling - on thin ice," he added.

The report highlights the current deficit in the public sector and expresses surprise that it built up at a time of economic strength and buoyant tax revenues.

"If the Chancellor is forced to borrow so much when the economy's so sweet, what will happen when it turns sour?" Mr Spencer asked.
    I still can't get my head around the concept of an economy both being strong, and being in record and increasing amounts of debt.

Don't worry, wendy, house prices will increase at a minimum of 10% pa forever so the UK can just take out a giant re-mortgage on itself with the world bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      Don't worry, wendy, house prices will increase at a minimum of 10% pa forever so the UK can just take out a giant re-mortgage on itself with the world bank.

Strong economies depend on being people spending money on goods and services, regardless of where the money comes from. It will all eventually go t1ts-up just a Gordo is taking his seat in the Lords and pronoucing 'it weren't me, gov'
      Life is one of those things alot of people find hard to avoid

Comment

It all depends on whether credit is being spent on good debt or bad debt (like housing).

Comment

if housing is bad debt, what is good debt ? hifi's, tv's, dvd players ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            if housing is bad debt, what is good debt ? hifi's, tv's, dvd players ?

Milan.
            In a recession, you can sell a hifi, a TV or a DVD player.

You might not be able to sell a house.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

ahh I see

in a recession, when everybody's trying to sell their dvd players, how much will my dvd player be worth ?

Milan.

Comment

ahh I see

in a recession, when everybody's trying to sell their dvd players, how much will my dvd player be worth ?

Milan.
                You can afford to write off a DVD player.

Comment

ahh I see

Milan.
                  Depends on whether you clean it or leave it looking like a plasterers radio
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

anyway back to the question, if a house is bad debt, what's good debt ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X