• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses question (should be straight forward)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses question (should be straight forward)

Ok, this should be a straight forward for the experienced contractors here.
    When claiming expenses, let's say travelling - can I buy a season ticket and just claim the cost of that instead of buying daily ones? And if yes (which I presume would be the answer) do I need to divide the price of the season ticket by the amount of days I used it and claim that sum each day or can I just claim the whole thing at the end of the month/week as one big lump?

BTW, does this trick work on food&drink too? i.e. can I do my food shopping on the weekend and just prepare my own food for work per each working day and then claim the total shopping cost?

Originally posted by jor-el
    Ok, this should be a straight forward for the experienced contractors here.
    When claiming expenses, let's say travelling - can I buy a season ticket and just claim the cost of that instead of buying daily ones? And if yes (which I presume would be the answer) do I need to divide the price of the season ticket by the amount of days I used it and claim that sum each day or can I just claim the whole thing at the end of the month/week as one big lump?

BTW, does this trick work on food&drink too? i.e. can I do my food shopping on the weekend and just prepare my own food for work per each working day and then claim the total shopping cost?
    Season ticket - Buy it & claim back the whole lot in one go
    Food - I doubt you'd get away with that one - I think the average Hector would class it as non-business expenditure, because you can't prove that all the food was consumed while working away from your office. (You can't claim subsitence if you are working from your own offices/ home) If you buy meals separately, it's easier to prove that it was bought at a certain time & date, and purchased from a place near your client's offices etc.
    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Isn't it a lot simpler to get the company to pay directly for business expenses...?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
        Isn't it a lot simpler to get the company to pay directly for business expenses...?
        Yeah, even simpler let the company buy you a house and car as well as a holiday home.

Comment

Working...
        X