• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poverty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poverty

Relative poverty is calculated as the proportion and number of people living on less than 60% of the current median income.

Absolute poverty describes those who are living below 60% of the median income from 1998-99.
    Now, can someone please explain what would have to happen to UK incomes for everyone to be lifted out of poverty???

The only thing I can think of is kill everyone? Then no one is in poverty?
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Devalue the pound, pay people 10 times as much and absolute poverty is no longer.

Comment

remove the top 5% of wage earners from the country. Or tax them to death.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
        remove the top 5% of wage earners from the country. Or tax them to death.
        The top earners don't really effect median earnings
        I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
          The top earners don't really effect median earnings
          True, I got confused with mean. as perhaps half the media did.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
            True, I got confused with mean. as perhaps half the media did.
            At least they are using the median in the definition, to avoid skewed mean earnings. However, what is poverty? Not being able to afford Sky?
            I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

It is based on the Median income.

Solution is simple. When the legal min wage becomes the Median income, there will be no more poverty in Britain. Of course, for this to happen, everyone must be on Min Wage. Welcome to Utopia.

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                At least they are using the median in the definition, to avoid skewed mean earnings. However, what is poverty? Not being able to afford Sky?
                No, it is based on a percentage of the Median income. Those in poverty may be driving Porsches, but if they are on less than 60% median income, they are poverty stricken. Poor bastards.

Comment

Working...
                X