• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toyota is now #1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyota is now #1

Toyota now claim to be the biggest car firm in the world. Apparently they sold 2.3 thousand million cars in the first three months of this year.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Originally posted by threaded
    Toyota now claim to be the biggest car firm in the world. Apparently they sold 2.3 thousand million cars in the first three months of this year.
    Feck! That's a lot of vehicles.

Comment

It's not really something to be proud of is it? It's like being the biggest cigarette manufacturer, or the company which has sold the most cheeseburgers.

Mind you...

"2.3 thousand million cars in the first three months of this year"

From Wiki:

"As of 2002, there were 590 million passenger cars worldwide"

That's a pretty impressive achievement by Toyota in the first three months of this year then.

Comment

Ah, right, from the BBC site:

"According to company figures, Toyota sold 2.348 million vehicles in the first three months of 2007."

Still, that's 2,348,000 vehicles more than we f***ing need.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
          Ah, right, from the BBC site:

"According to company figures, Toyota sold 2.348 million vehicles in the first three months of 2007."

Still, that's 2,348,000 vehicles more than we f***ing need.
          Do you wear sandals by chance?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
            Building a Toyota is one thing.

Buying one and insuring it is another.

I stick to my trusty Focus Zetec. It's nippy, economical, it's never let me down and on fully comp. I pay less than £160 a year. Thank you, Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
              Building a Toyota is one thing.

Buying one and insuring it is another.

I stick to my trusty Focus Zetec. It's nippy, economical, it's never let me down and on fully comp. I pay less than £160 a year. Thank you, Ford
              But how long do you expect it to last?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

But how long do you expect it to last?
                I bought mine from new in 2002. Apart from normal things wearing out like tyres and brake pads, the only thing that failed is the starter motor last year. I haven't even needed to replace a bulb since I bought it. I rest my case.

Comment

Not really, but I do think that private cars are a massive luxury which everyone treats themselves to without a second thought. Look at it this way:

If you want to go swimming then you have a few options. You could build a private swimming pool in your back garden; you could take out membership of the local private health club; you could go to the local community leisure centre; or you could go and swim in the nearest river.

Walking or cycling is the equivalent of swimming in the nearest river; getting a bus or the train is like the leisure centre; using a taxi or first class on the train is like the private health club.

Running your own private car, or more than one, is like having a private swimming pool in your back garden.

I'm sure I read that there are more families in the UK with two cars than families with no car at all. People see car ownership as a normal fact of life, like having running water and electricity, and they throw a hissy fit if anyone makes any attempt to reduce the damage being done.

It made me laugh recently when there was a letter in our local paper complaining about the state of the car park at an NHS doctor's surgery in town. The people that complained must have only ever parked in the Tesco's car park or the council car park, which are both well maintained. If they'd ever cycled or walked around town they would be aware that every road is a churned up death trap of pot-holes and worn surfaces. They don't ever see that because they never get out of their cars, and they're so used to speed humps and bumping up on the kerb to park that they don't even register the state of the roads as they drive along.

I'm not allowed to use rude words on this forum, but think of a really bad one and that's what most car commuters are.

Comment

If they'd ever cycled or walked around town they would be aware that every road is a churned up death trap of pot-holes and worn surfaces.
                    It's not like that around here, where do you live (it sounds horrible)?

I'm not allowed to use rude words on this forum, but think of a really bad one and that's what most car commuters are.
                    That same word could also be appliccable to people who make sweeping generalisations.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X