• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More evidence of dumbing down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More evidence of dumbing down

BBC News Online

"UK chemistry departments are often world-renowned for their creativity; however, mathematics tests set in England by many universities for undergraduate chemistry students in their first term to diagnose remedial requirements are disconcertingly simple.

"They encapsulate the challenge facing this country," says Dr Pike.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

That is a little misleading dont you think?

The chinese one is for students wishing to get onto a maths degree.
    The British one is to assess the maths capability of Chemistry students.

I am sure the entry requirements for maths students is much higher.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

You could have left it at "BBC News".
      "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

£500? Easy money, done it and entered: linq
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Well considering I was 13 when we did Pythagorus theorem at school this doesn't bode particularly well.

I did a Chemical Process Engineering degree and maths was integral. Over the years, they dropped more and more of the maths part. The change in maths content between the final papers from the 70's to the 90's was extreme. This came under the branding of "modernisation" while moving from a BSc to BEng.

I'm not saying you should compare like for like - you should be wondering why a simple test should be used for a university 1st year students in the UK.

Just as this pops up:

BBC News Online
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

At this rate science and maths will disappear in the next 10 years
            medjaa studies anyone ?

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
              Well considering I was 13 when we did Pythagorus theorem at school this doesn't bode particularly well.
              I'd suggest you start with Thales' Theorem before use of Pythagoras.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

How much maths do you need for chemistry?
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD

I did a Chemical Process Engineering degree and maths was integral. Over the years, they dropped more and more of the maths part. The change in maths content between the final papers from the 70's to the 90's was extreme. This came under the branding of "modernisation" while moving from a BSc to BEng.

I'm not saying you should compare like for like - you should be wondering why a simple test should be used for a university 1st year students in the UK.

Just as this pops up:

BBC News Online
                  I am not saying that dumbing down isn't happening, nor do I think the English version was aprticularly suitable, I was just saying that the original piece reads like the tests were the same thing.

When I went to Uni in the early 90s thye had introduced tests to find out what remedial classes would be needed for all kinds of subjects. My head of department found it most annoying that he had to waste precious time on remedial work because the school curriculum had been dumbed down so much that every applicant was achieving the highest entry grades so the Uni couldnt use that as a filter.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I think maths is a very important subject. Its an integral part of all sciences and engineering subjects.

But these days people have a problem with basic arithmetic never mind real maths!

The beauty about maths is that the answer is always in the question. You just got to know how to read it !
                    Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X