• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's best way to finance a Used Car ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's best way to finance a Used Car ?

I have been driving around nicely a 15yr old BMW for the last 10yrs . never bothered to change it cos it got me from A to B fast enough

Now some idot smacked into my behind. It was not a bad accident but the cost of repair could mean my beloved car beign written off. I am not a happy bunny now cos it now means I have to pay a lota money i dont have to buy something newer.

I was initially thinking of a brand new 3 series but now decided that saving to buy another property is a better investment. better still i dont want the Ex thinking she can screw me for more money

This now means I have to just get myself a good used decent car.

I was thinking of a year 2001/2 BMW X5 / 3 series or even the Merc M Class

Since a lota u people here are made of money & you probably have a Plane & one of these on ya driveways , I was wondering if you could give me any pointers on these cars

secondly whats the best way to finance one (more importantly over a short repayment period as i dont like debts)

Where's is the best place to pick up a good bargain ?

I dont mind LHD so would even consider going ito Europe to buy one

Is Leasing a good thing or not?

cheers
    css_jay99

The old BMWs are better than the new ones. Standards have well dropped in that department. Try and get a good replacement for what you've lost.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I'd buy a Lexus instead, it will be more relaible and rarer, and comes with indicators! Of course you may prefer the neighbours to assume you are a drug dealer.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
        I'd buy a Lexus instead, it will be more relaible and rarer, and comes with indicators! Of course you may prefer the neighbours to assume you are a drug dealer.
        They are good especially the new IS range but a bit soulless if you ask me, I quite fancy an Alfa 159 but are they any better than the Alfa's of old? I want one but I’m too scared to risk it.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
          They are good especially the new IS range but a bit soulless if you ask me, I quite fancy an Alfa 159 but are they any better than the Alfa's of old? I want one but I’m too scared to risk it.
          You could simulate the ownership experience by burning half of 15k and standing in the rain waiting for the AA to come out.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
            You could simulate the ownership experience by burning half of 15k and standing in the rain waiting for the AA to come out.
            I know what your saying but I still see a lot of old 156's about so they must be going strong, I'm starting to think its a bit like the skoda image problem i.e. everyone still laughs but they are actually quite good these days.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

If the repair estimate is marginally above the pre-accident value, you could get a cash in lieu of settlement and pay the extra to have it repaired yourself and keep it.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                I know what your saying but I still see a lot of old 156's about so they must be going strong, I'm starting to think its a bit like the skoda image problem i.e. everyone still laughs but they are actually quite good these days.
                I used to own a 155 which I ran for 7 years and it was reliable as old boots.
                The old 164 was the only really good big Alfa ever made - a lot of them ran for up to 300K miles.
                Alfas are alright provided you maintain them - don't skimp on servicing and replacement parts. Can be a little expensive to run - but you're not a real petrolhead till you've owned an Alfa. Coolest look of any mainstream car IMHO.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

A quick google.....

Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed
                  by Bill Slessor

I have owned my Alfa Romeo 156 for some 16 months from new and driven 16k miles in it. I offer the following history.
                  The car was supplied by Dixon Motors and all warranty work has been carried out by them.
                  The Selespeed has proved to be a nightmare.

After about three months, it became slow to drop into first gear and often when I put my foot down to move away I found the gearchange was in neutral and just dropping into first. The revs therefore increased violently and the gear was engaged, resulting in 'burning rubber' and considerable danger if moving away from a junction or onto a roundabout.

The system was checked twice. The first time, no fault could be found; the second time, adjustments were made with some improvement. But the problem reappeared and got worse. It would change down when the up-gear button was pressed and often would not change up from second gear when travelling down a slight incline at speeds up to 25 mph. It was necessary to slow down to about 10 mph with the brake on and go up the gears again.

New parts were ordered and arrived after six weeks. They were fitted but were faulty and the car was off the road for another six weeks until a second set of parts arrived. This was three months ago, but the same faults are beginning to appear again. Dixons cannot find any fault, although I have had my observations confirmed by passengers.

After about three months, the rubber/plastic began to rub off the Selespeed buttons on the steering wheel. After a five-week wait for new parts, these were replaced, but the same problem has developed again and, after another wait of about six weeks, Dixons has taken the parts from a showroom vehicle and put them on mine.

I have a three-year warranty on the vehicle but feel I cannot risk keeping it if these faults are going to occur again, resulting in massive parts bills and long waits for replacements.
                  The car is a joy to drive and very sporty, but it is also the vehicle with which I have had the most trouble in 40 years of driving.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99
                    I am not a happy bunny now cos it now means I have to pay a lota money i dont have to buy something newer.

I was initially thinking of a brand new 3 series but now decided that saving to buy another property is a better investment. better still i dont want the Ex thinking she can screw me for more money

This now means I have to just get myself a good used decent car.

I was thinking of a year 2001/2 BMW X5 / 3 series or even the Merc M Class
                    whats the best way to finance one (more importantly over a short repayment period as i dont like debts)
                    Erm, if you don't have the money, don't buy a car like that?
                    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Working...
                    X