• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency wants contractor to indemnify it from Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency wants contractor to indemnify it from Umbrella

Has any contractor here been asked by their agency to provide a personal guarantee against any losses the agency may suffer from an umbrella?

I'm in the process of switching umbrellas (from an MSC style scheme to straight PAYE with another umbrella) due to the recent legislation, so the agency has to draft new contracts in the name of my new brolly as we're mid contract.

Presumably with the onset of third party (agent) liability next year they're starting to arse cover now, and sent the following for me to sign. It looks well out of order, and won't be getting any wet ink, any one else had something similar?

GUARANTEE AND INDEMNITY
    This Guarantee is made the 10 April 2007
    BETWEEN
    (1) <THE CONTRACTOR> of <CONTRACTORS ADDRESS> (the
    Guarantor ); and
    (2) PROJECT PEOPLE LIMITED (Registration No 3027453) whose registered office is at Whitefriars, Lewins Mead, Bristol BS1 2NT ( Project People )

WHEREAS
    (1) By a Supplier Agreement dated 01 Jan, 2006 made between <NAME OF OLD UMBRELLA CO.> and Project People ( Supplier Agreement ) the Guarantor
    agreed to provide services to the clients of Project People, subject to the terms and conditions contained therein.
    (2) The Guarantor now wishes to provide services to the Client through <NAME OF NEW UMBRELLA CO.> and for Project People to enter into a Supplier Agreement with <NAME OF NEW UMBRELLA CO.> ( Replacement Supplier Agreement )

NOW IT IS HEREBY AGREED as follows:
    (1) It is hereby agreed that the Guarantor does hereby guarantee to Project People all and any obligations and all or any monies now or hereinafter due to Project People from <NAME OF NEW UMBRELLA CO.> under the Supplier Agreement.
    (2) This Guarantee is in respect of sums outstanding under the Supplier Agreementand shall remain in full force and effect not withstanding any extension, compromise, adjustment, forebearance, waiver, release or discharge of any partyor guarantor, or release in whole or in part of any security granted for the said indebtedness or compromise or adjustment thereto until the expiry of the Supplier Agreement.
    (3) The Guarantor shall on demand immediately pay all sums outstanding under the Supplier Agreement to Project People.
    (4) The obligations of the Guarantor shall at the election of Project People be primary and not necessarily secondary.
    (5) The Guarantee hereunder shall be unconditional and absolute and the Guarantor waives all rights of subrogation and set-off until all sums due under this Guarantee are fully paid.
    (6) In the event payments due under the Guarantee are not paid punctually upon demand, then the Guarantor shall on demand pay all reasonable costs and solicitors fees necessary for the collection and enforcement of this Guarantee.
    (7) The Guarantor warrants and represents he has full authority to enter into the Guarantee.
    (8) The Guarantor acknowledges that he has taken all necessary advice to enter into the Guarantee.
    (9) The Guarantee shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors or assigns.

IN WITNESS OF WHICH the parties have signed this agreement the day and year first above written.

SIGNED as a DEED )
    but not delivered until the date hereof by )
    GUARANTOR )
    in the presence of (witness)
    Name
    Address
    Occupation

Tell them to swift off.

Comment

Ha Ha Ha, they've gotta be having a laugh, who the hell would agree to that?!?!

Comment

Argghh ... I don't like the way all this MSC legislation is going!

Don't sign! We've got to all stick together, if we all refuse agencies can't do this stuff.

Comment

I'd be refusing to sign it because I don't understand it (and I'm relatively good at legal mumbo jumbo)

The main clause:

"It is hereby agreed that the Guarantor does hereby guarantee to Project People all and any obligations and all or any monies now or hereinafter due to Project People from <NAME OF NEW UMBRELLA CO.> under the Supplier Agreement"

seems to say that you are acting as a guarentor for any money owed by the brolly to the agency.

But there never should be any money owed by the brolly to the agency, the money passes the other way. Unless the agency make a mistake and pay too much, in which case it is unreasoable IMHO, to make this your problem.

This clause will have no effect in removing the agency from any MSC liability for unpaid taxes, as that money isn't money due to the brolly, it's money due to HMG.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
            I'd be refusing to sign it because I don't understand it (and I'm relatively good at legal mumbo jumbo)

The main clause:

"It is hereby agreed that the Guarantor does hereby guarantee to Project People all and any obligations and all or any monies now or hereinafter due to Project People from <NAME OF NEW UMBRELLA CO.> under the Supplier Agreement"

seems to say that you are acting as a guarentor for any money owed by the brolly to the agency.

But there never should be any money owed by the brolly to the agency, the money passes the other way. Unless the agency make a mistake and pay too much, in which case it is unreasoable IMHO, to make this your problem.

This clause will have no effect in removing the agency from any MSC liability for unpaid taxes, as that money isn't money due to the brolly, it's money due to HMG.

tim
            It sounds fishy - ask the person from the agency who placed you to explain the clause - that should be fun if nothing else...
            Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Working...
            X