• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MSCs: Conservatives want to hear your views

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSCs: Conservatives want to hear your views

Should I just assume everyone here also reads Shout99 or are people interested in this sort of stuff? http://www.shout99.com/contractors/s...le.pl?id=43202. Just tell me to bog off if you all read Shout99 anyway.

Also already in hand via the PCG actually. But yes, people ought to pay attention, the downsides of this crap draft legislation (that's as it currently stands, it may change either way) are potentially serious. The worst case scenario is everyone turns into a PAYE temp...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

PAYE temp isn't all that bad if that is what you end up as since you'll get your full statutory rights - holiday pay, sick pay etc. and not have to pay employer's NI either.

The problem at the moment with things like IR35 is that you get none of the benefits, pay your full PAYE contributions AND the employer's NI as well.

Personally I'm glad that the MSCs have been shut down. Always felt like a blatent tax dodge to me and left a sour taste in the mouth - especially with the overseas workers taking resources out of the country and not paying much tax back in.

One idea I have that could raise money for El Gordo, help safeguard work for homegrown talent, and stop potential tax money disappearing overseas is that non-UK nationals on temporary working visas should be forced to pay full PAYE. If they want to work via a Ltd, then they should have to be tax resident here first. Should stop the "smash and grab" raids we get from people from the sub-continent and the Southern Hemisphere.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
        PAYE temp isn't all that bad if that is what you end up as since you'll get your full statutory rights - holiday pay, sick pay etc. and not have to pay employer's NI either.
        Of course you won't just 'get these'.

The cost will be taken out of what you are paid. 500 pd with no bens will become 250 pd with bens.

Which would YOU rather have.

(I agree with the rest of your post though)

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob

The problem at the moment with things like IR35 is that you get none of the benefits, pay your full PAYE contributions AND the employer's NI as well.

Personally I'm glad that the MSCs have been shut down. Always felt like a blatent tax dodge to me and left a sour taste in the mouth - especially with the overseas workers taking resources out of the country and not paying much tax back in.

One idea I have that could raise money for El Gordo, help safeguard work for homegrown talent, and stop potential tax money disappearing overseas is that non-UK nationals on temporary working visas should be forced to pay full PAYE. If they want to work via a Ltd, then they should have to be tax resident here first. Should stop the "smash and grab" raids we get from people from the sub-continent and the Southern Hemisphere.
          PAYE temping:

All those benefits will be paid directly from the agreed rate, so you'll see no difference. Also, you won't be able to claim expenses, which would not be so good.

Also, there's the principle of the thing. Who the hell wants some dumb recruiter as their boss? Not me.

Comment

Work for Dodgy Agent ?
            Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

I don't want a boss. That's the whole point of what I do...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
              X