• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay as You Go or Tariff?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay as You Go or Tariff?

My mobile is due for an upgrade. Can't decide whether to go tariff, as I currently do and have always done with a new handset each year, or PAYG whereby I pay for my calls and buy my own handset. It doesn't seem to matter what tariff and how many free minutes I get my bill is always twice what the tariff is. That's why I think it could be better to PAYG. Also I don't care if I don't have a free handset nor wish to pay a fortune for the latest whizzardry in mobile technology that has every bell and whistle on it imaginable - MP3, camera, voice recorder, games etc - as I have these as purpose built separates. All I want is a sleek phone that has a clear line and roaming and override facility.

What do you think?
    What do you all do?
    Can you recommend a good deal you are currently on with O2 (or other provider that doesn't require me to change my number).

Originally posted by Denny
    My mobile is due for an upgrade. Can't decide whether to go tariff, as I currently do and have always done with a new handset each year, or PAYG whereby I pay for my calls and buy my own handset. It doesn't seem to matter what tariff and how many free minutes I get my bill is always twice what the tariff is. That's why I think it could be better to PAYG. Also I don't care if I don't have a free handset nor wish to pay a fortune for the latest whizzardry in mobile technology that has every bell and whistle on it imaginable - MP3, camera, voice recorder, games etc - as I have these as purpose built separates. All I want is a sleek phone that has a clear line and roaming and override facility.

What do you think?
    What do you all do?
    Can you recommend a good deal you are currently on with O2 (or other provider that doesn't require me to change my number).
    Depends how much you use your phone, and the proportion of speech v. text.

T-Mobile has a good PAYG offer for infequent users, which includes 3G and internet access and is capped at £1 per day.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Contract then its easier to put it through the company books. AFAIK one phone is allowed in the company name without BIK attached.

Comment

I use PAYG because I don't make many calls. I get through about £20 every 2-3 months and the phone only cost me about £30 with a trade-in etc. I think it's more expensive per call than a monthly tariff and it does sound like you make a lot of calls.

If you know how many minutes you use each month it should be easy to figure out your costs.
        It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Aye. Business calls only I average 9-10 hours a month

Comment

You can keep your handset if you decide to go PAYG I think.

I make very few calls and am on T-Mobile. £0.12/m any network any time is the cheapest among the big boys. I was previously on Orange and moving to T-Mobile has made a huge difference.

Perhaps moving to PAYG would be a good move and you would have a better idea of exactly how much you are using the phone.

Your not the first person who is shocked by their monthly mobile bill. The mobile network boys don't design these plans for nothing. Some people at my client rack up company mobile phone bills in excess of £8K (yes K) a month. How the hell do you spend £8K on calls and web a month?!? Anyway, they are now clamping down on these...apparently there are more company mobile phones than employees.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

So one phone per company or else BIK applies? My other half recently became an employee of the company and I got a phone for her as she needs one for calling clients etc.

Where does it state on phone per company? Or are you just passing on rumours?

Comment

Originally posted by chubba
                So one phone per company or else BIK applies? My other half recently became an employee of the company and I got a phone for her as she needs one for calling clients etc.

Where does it state on phone per company? Or are you just passing on rumours?
                There were a few posts on here about it. I think that could be 1 phone per employee just that most companies on here have 1 employee. I'll do a search see what I can dig up.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
                  Some people at my client rack up company mobile phone bills in excess of £8K (yes K) a month. How the hell do you spend £8K on calls and web a month?!?.
                  When I worked for Three we were given company mobiles that didn't generate a bill. Basically we could watch as much tv, download as many songs as we wanted and the phones never got charged anything. As the warehouse didn't have DECT phones these mobies got used to death. Some months the call counter was at 140-150 hours each. Ouch.

Comment

If you are currently exceeding your monthly 'units' you are unlikey to find a PAYG deal that works out cheaper. PAYG is for people who spend less than 15 quid a month (and for people who 'can't' sign a contract).

You need to look for a tariff that matches your calling pattern

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X