• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fools on trains that insist on taking up two seats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fools on trains that insist on taking up two seats

I can understand anyone preferring to take an aisle seat - it's a little more roomy and you don't need to worry about asking someone to move if you need the toilet or wish to go to the shop....

However, people like the guy sitting opposite me at the moment really annoy me. The train from London Euston to Wolverhampton is pretty busy - it always is at this time of day. People have been struggling for seats, and he's taking up half of the table with his laptop, Blackberry, phone, sandwich, crisps and water. He's then hung his jacket on the hook by the window seat. He's then got his bag on the window seat whilst he sits on the aisle seat.

People have wandered past, looking to see on the electronic reservations whether the seat is available. When he's avoided eye contact, they've gone looking elsewhere.

It's fair enough to take two seats if there's plenty of availability - but on a peak time service, either use one seat, buy two tickets or don't be such a ****ing cheapskate and pay for 1st class!

Go and sit on his lap.

Edit: Wait...how are you posting this if you are not taking up your own half of the table with your laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      Go and sit on his lap.

Edit: Wait...how are you posting this if you are not taking up your own half of the table with your laptop?
      I'm using a quarter of the table, the part directly in front of my seat. He's using half the table, the part infront of his seat and the seat with his luggage on....

Comment

Have you tried sticking your v's up at him....behind your laptop of course That should ease your pain a little bit!
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

I've physically pushed people if they take up two seats. Works everytime. They don't expect it and can't think up a rational response.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Maybe the tw@t reads this site.

If so, hello

In future, move your lardy ass over so someone else can have a seat!

Comment

My old man does a good trick - he walks over to the seat where doofus has placed the decoy (newspaper, coat, sandwich), picks it up and shoves it in their lap and sits down with "ohfeckmemyfeckinglegs" with Scorpion (UT joke) like elbows.

He's 73 and doesn't give a shit.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I think these are the same people that take the lift to go up (or down!) one floor, when the stairs or escalator are right by and would be much quicker.

I always want to say to them "is there something wrong with your legs?" Maybe they just like lifts.

Comment

It's so they can let one off on the way up in the hope it catches their boss coming down.

This thread reminds me of that Britains Richest programme on last week where Stelios was shown to be a warm caring boss by going through the same tulip taking a flight on Easyjet as the normal punters do. Supposedly going as far as booking online and queuing up with the cattle class. Notice how he was in the aisle seat and the other two next to him were empty though. Come on he's not that fat.
                  "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by IDB
                    I can understand anyone preferring to take an aisle seat - it's a little more roomy and you don't need to worry about asking someone to move if you need the toilet or wish to go to the shop....

However, people like the guy sitting opposite me at the moment really annoy me. The train from London Euston to Wolverhampton is pretty busy - it always is at this time of day. People have been struggling for seats, and he's taking up half of the table with his laptop, Blackberry, phone, sandwich, crisps and water. He's then hung his jacket on the hook by the window seat. He's then got his bag on the window seat whilst he sits on the aisle seat.

People have wandered past, looking to see on the electronic reservations whether the seat is available. When he's avoided eye contact, they've gone looking elsewhere.

It's fair enough to take two seats if there's plenty of availability - but on a peak time service, either use one seat, buy two tickets or don't be such a ****ing cheapskate and pay for 1st class!
                    I make a point of zeroing in on these @rses and asking in a loud voice with a bright, confident manner 'is someone else, sitting in this seat?'.

I'm always sure of a seat - I like to think that they're saving it just for me - protecting it from the losers who are too polite to say boo to a goose.

(nb. this technique works just as well in 1st class - tossers do this kind of thing everywhere...)
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X