• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Music around the house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music around the house

I have been talking about getting a NAS server to allow common storage between the laptops at home. See other threads! Picture storage, MP3 files and system back ups mainly.

I was talking to a guy at the clients site who has done similar and he recommended a Qnap TS-101 which he runs with open source SlimServer to allow him to play my MP3 files. He currently has 3 seperate players in different rooms connected over his wireless LAN to the NAS server running SlimServer. It wakes up when one of the players turns on, and is ready to play music in 10 seconds - apparently sound quality is great, like CD. Very convenient - like having an Ipod you can browse with a remote from any room in the house and access all your music, without needing to run a PC all the time.

Has anyone else done anything similar or can recommend other products that do this? Any comments?

Mac Mini - Front Row software for control, and can stream from or to any other computer running iTunes or other Bonjour compatible applications - including Windows and Linux machines.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

No personal experience, but this may help:

http://tinyurl.com/hduoj

Comment

I use the Apple Airport Express and stream the music from my laptop. I only have it set up in one room though but I've seen someone's set up with three of them in different rooms.

It's a good bit of kit and has been set up both with a Dell and my newish Macbook - can't remember the last time I actually played a CD, itunes is so much easier to use/change tracks/make playlists etc

Looked at getting the Sonos thing but it doesn't play DRM protected tracks bought from itunes. If and when itunes starts selling DRM free tracks I would definitely consider getting one because you get a remote control thingie which is a bit like carrying an ipod round with you rather than having to control everything from your computer.

Comment

Microsoft Home Server is due out soon, which might be an alternative to the current NAS solutions.

From my limited reading about it's capabilities it may be just a dumbed down server edition for people that don't have IT skills, so may be a pile of cack for us 'professionals'.

There's various types of networkable media players for connecting to a TV. For standalone/portable stuff you could investigate the new Ultra Mobile PC kit with touch screens.
          "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

I'm just researching the final bits of hardware for streaming TV around the house using my Gigabit network. Hopefully should be able to stream direct to conventional plasmas with channel change code. Trying to tie up software with hardware.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
              I'm just researching the final bits of hardware for streaming TV around the house using my Gigabit network. Hopefully should be able to stream direct to conventional plasmas with channel change code. Trying to tie up software with hardware.
              Hyper - once you sort that let me know, I have a mate who wants to control his central PC wirelessly from several monitor/kb/mouse stations around his home/garden/summer house, and the last equipment I researched for him cost a fortune. Any reasonably priced kit that wirelessly transceives AV & IO would be a godsend. It needs to have a high bandwidth as he's using apps like audition, after effects etc.

Comment

Have you tried singing or whistling? Much cheaper.

Comment

Or move onto a chav estate where your next door neighbours will provide all the music you could ever want, at any time of the day.
                  "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
                    Hyper - once you sort that let me know, I have a mate who wants to control his central PC wirelessly from several monitor/kb/mouse stations around his home/garden/summer house, and the last equipment I researched for him cost a fortune. Any reasonably priced kit that wirelessly transceives AV & IO would be a godsend. It needs to have a high bandwidth as he's using apps like audition, after effects etc.
                    Ok will do. Probably won't get around to connecting it all up until July as I need to buy a separate server to host videoLAN. I get the feeling that not all the bits are going to talk to each other. It's not really my area of expertise and I've been googling like crazy.

If anyone has any tips then let me know.

Looking at these guys initially...

http://www.exterity.co.uk
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X