• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Depressing Workplace Rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depressing Workplace Rant

Just had the week from hell.

Spent a week doing a project for a big firm. I'm a permie consultant but work from home and travel to customers for projects from time to time.

Forgot what it was like for the 9 to 5ers in certain big company offices. Dark, depressing office. Everyone walking about with frowns. Project managers stopping by to have little words. Crap coffee machine. Crap over-priced canteen. Everyone moaning. Everyone going on about how hard they work. Everyone knackered because of the commute - up early, home late. The inane, inane buzz of office small talk.

Loads of contractors. Overheard conversations about school fees, how they couldn't wait for the weekend to get back to their country home.

Chatting with a permie he casually mentioned that normal IT salary for 'guys like us' was 30k but the contractors got double that. Kept my mouth shut and nodded while silently thinking "**** me, I earn more than the contractors here, as a permie with full benefits and holidays, and I don't get all this office tuliphole hell". Poor, poor guys.

No one should put up with this tulip! Burn these crappy offices down! Get some in-demand skills! Work from home! Make them pay you a decent wage by being worth it!

Originally posted by DieScum
    No one should put up with this tulip! Burn these crappy offices down! Get some in-demand skills! Work from home! Make them pay you a decent wage by being worth it!
    Ever see the film that was showed with Monty P's "The Meaning of Life"?

I could really sympathise with those guys.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Spent a week doing a project for a big firm. I'm a permie consultant but work from home and travel to customers for projects from time to time.

Forgot what it was like for the 9 to 5ers in certain big company offices. Dark, depressing office. Everyone walking about with frowns. Project managers stopping by to have little words. Crap coffee machine. Crap over-priced canteen. Everyone moaning. Everyone going on about how hard they work. Everyone knackered because of the commute - up early, home late. The inane, inane buzz of office small talk.

Loads of contractors. Overheard conversations about school fees, how they couldn't wait for the weekend to get back to their country home.

Chatting with a permie he casually mentioned that normal IT salary for 'guys like us' was 30k but the contractors got double that. Kept my mouth shut and nodded while silently thinking "**** me, I earn more than the contractors here, as a permie with full benefits and holidays, and I don't get all this office tuliphole hell". Poor, poor guys.

What you're witnessessing, my friend, is a classic symptom of poor management - managers who don't lead by example, inspire their teams or support individuals. When this happens, individuals develop a sense of powerlessness and begin to turn their frustrations into an imploding culture of bitching and back biting, poor productivity and no sense of belonging.

Exactly the reason I stopped being a permie. Now, I don't get involved in office politics and I know that if I'm on a site like the one you describe, it's not forever.

Comment

60K as a contractor. Not worth getting up for.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
          60K as a contractor. Not worth getting up for.
          Depends on what you had to do. If it involved being stuffed in an office full of talent all aged 20-25 then I may just be tempted.

Comment

I used to work with a permie at a bank in London, his favourite greeting to contractors was always "die scum", he reminded me of the weak little oik who hid behind the school bully for protection, only this time he was using his permie status.
            If things had been equal I would have punched his lights out for being a twatty little twerp, I wonder if you are related or possibly he?

Also the clue to this site is in the title "Contractor UK" no where does it mention being a portal for little gob tulipe consultants, so be a good chap and piss off back to aspiring to your 3 Series BMW or whatever it is you have sold your soul for.

HTH
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

LOL !

yeah, and when you get in your 320i don't forget to hang your suit jacket from the hanger behind the driver's seat

LOL

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                I used to work with a permie at a bank in London, his favourite greeting to contractors was always "die scum",
                Deutsche Bank!

I twatted him about 10 seconds after he said that to me.

Looked like he was too close as I was putting my suit jacket on a hanger.

And then a knee to the groin as I apologised.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Three times in 9 years contracting did I deem it necessary to tw@t a permie colleague.

Thats why I move around...
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman
                    Ever see the film that was showed with Monty P's "The Meaning of Life"?

I could really sympathise with those guys.
                    The Crimson Permanent Assurance!

"It's fun to charter an accountant.... and sail upon the old accountan...cy".
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X