• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Voters will judge us all - Brown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voters will judge us all - Brown

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6604817.stm

Really?? Surely not!! Well, you could have knocked me down with a kleenex!

Would a more fitting headline be something like "Brown wakes up from 10-year coma?

You are surprised at my statement.

There are some who need reminding how elections work. Elections are not decided by opinion polls, by the Daily Mail, or by single-issue parties. They are decided by the ballot box.

Voters have been judging us for ten years, during which time they have elected the Labour party three times in general elections, each time with a large majority.

And do you know the biggest reason why voters continue to elect us? It is because voters can see, quite clearly, that Labour is the party of economic competence, proven by the ten years of unprecedented stability and prosperity that followed the boom and bust years of the Conservative governments.

Therefore, when all the froth is blown away, and voters are arriving at polling stations, they will stare out over the abyss of electing Nationalists in Scotland, or Conservatives in England, and remember that the Labour party has been, is, and will be the only party for hard working families, for business, and for those less fortunate.

Comment

The really really sad thing is a lot of people will actually think like that.

I rarely discuss politics in the pub - for one thing most of them in my local are NL supporters and it's too easy to wind them up - but I couldn't let the comment one of them made about the last "Tax Saving budget and the cuts he made". I ran through the real sums, that after the removal of the 10% band most people on less than £40k were now several hiundreds a year worse off... The conversation rapidly switched to darts.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by gordonbrown
        You are surprised at my statement.

There are some who need reminding how elections work. Elections are not decided by opinion polls, by the Daily Mail, or by single-issue parties. They are decided by the ballot box.

Voters have been judging us for ten years, during which time they have elected the Labour party three times in general elections, each time with a large majority.

And do you know the biggest reason why voters continue to elect us? It is because voters can see, quite clearly, that Labour is the party of economic competence, proven by the ten years of unprecedented stability and prosperity that followed the boom and bust years of the Conservative governments.

Therefore, when all the froth is blown away, and voters are arriving at polling stations, they will stare out over the abyss of electing Nationalists in Scotland, or Conservatives in England, and remember that the Labour party has been, is, and will be the only party for hard working families, for business, and for those less fortunate.

I thought that this id was someone taking the pi$$. Now I think that maybe it is genuine

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
          The really really sad thing is a lot of people will actually think like that.

I rarely discuss politics in the pub - for one thing most of them in my local are NL supporters and it's too easy to wind them up - but I couldn't let the comment one of them made about the last "Tax Saving budget and the cuts he made". I ran through the real sums, that after the removal of the 10% band most people on less than £40k were now several hiundreds a year worse off... The conversation rapidly switched to darts.

You'd think people would have learned by now - GB only ever adds taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
            You'd think people would have learned by now - GB only ever adds taxes.
            I'd guess at least half the electorate really aren't interested.

Most voters treat elections as Man United versus Chelsea.
            Last edited by wendigo100; 30 April 2007, 07:06.

Comment

Look lads,

be careful what you wish for.

If it wasn't for the Gordonomics and Economic Miracle most of the people here would not be enjoying the lifestyles to which they have become accustomed.

Simple advice, no matter what you think of the underlying formula, it is enabling us lot to do ok, so bank your gains, invest wisely and hope that the economic miracle continues.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                Look lads,

be careful what you wish for.

If it wasn't for the Gordonomics and Economic Miracle most of the people here would not be enjoying the lifestyles to which they have become accustomed.

Simple advice, no matter what you think of the underlying formula, it is enabling us lot to do ok, so bank your gains, invest wisely and hope that the economic miracle continues.

Milan.
                No, I agree. Informed opinion is that we would be around £4000 a year better off, in a more competitive trading environment and would have some idea about whether or not what we were doing for a living was in line with the rules...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

ja ja Malvolio,

it is easy for informed opinion to say that, however, nobody knows in the world chaos, what the situation would have been for the last ten years with the Tories at the helm.

If we assume our informed opinion to be correct, and accept that you would be 4k gbp better off a year under a different regime...

a, 4k gbp is not the be all and end all

b, how do we know that without the Economic Miracle, how do we know that under a different regime there would have been ten successive years of prosperity ? great you might have been 4k a year better off but who's to say it would have lasted for 10 years ? great 4k a year better off but what if it was only for the five years 97 to 2003 and we'd been in recession since then ?

Nobody can deny, the Economic Miracle has led to ten years of 'fill yer boots lads', and let's hope it continues.

Gordo's given you the chance to earn, it's your job to be wise with the rewards.

Milan.

Comment

Zeitghost,

of all the people here you must know, create your own pension.

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X