• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Investigation - update.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Investigation - update.

Thought I'd keep you all informed....

Got a letter on Saturday...well it was more of a bill really than a letter.

They want £11k off me.

They say that during my year working in Manchester that I was a permie, therefore I cannot claim ANY expenses involved in being down there (accomodation, travel to and from work, travel to and from Sunderland to Manchester, nothing.)

They say that because I went through Reeds, who are an Employment Agency, that I was a disguised permie. And even though each contract I had with them was only for a short period of time, and each for a specific bit of work, that during those short intervals I was STILL really a permie in their eyes.

I'm obviously going to try and fight this, but that's the current state of play.

I'm waiting to see what SJD say, as after all they are my accountants and they advised me to claim for all those expenses...so hopefully they'll be able to construct me a nice reply to the tax man.

I'll keep you all updated, cause obviously not being able to claim expenses when working away is a pretty major issue!
    Bloody IR35

Edit: SJD have agreed to help me on this one - there's talk of lodging an appeal. Again, I will keep you all posted.
    Last edited by SallyAnne; 1 May 2007, 08:27.
    The pope is a tard.

good luck Sal.

Milan.

Comment

Gutter. Hope it all works out for you. Did you have any investigation insurance or have you been handling this yourself?

Comment

Best of luck with your investigation. I can't see how they can claim that you were a permie myself, otherwise most of us would be in the same boat.

Didn't you have insurance from investigation cover from anyone? Where you on paye or div's while at manchester, as 11k seams a bit steep for just one year of expenses.

Comment

Good luck Sal.

Comment

Exactly the same statement and a very similar figure demanded during my IR35 investigation

You need help

QDOS were very good
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I didn't have insurance for that year no - got it now, but that doesn't help me much

It was my first years business, so I didn't really know what insurances to get back then (and I hadn't discovered this site for helpful advice!)

I was on £350 a day, and claiming minimum wage plus £2k divvies each month.
              Everything I earned pretty much went in expenses, as it cost me a fortune to travel and stuff. I never "came out" with a penny from my year in Manc...just lots of experience (and receipts!)

I'll just see what happens. Like I said last week to Denny, no point worrying. If they're going to get ya they will. Thats the game we're in.

(It's only a months wages really - not the end of the world.)
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                Exactly the same statement and a very similar figure demanded during my IR35 investigation

You need help

QDOS were very good
                Did you manage to beat them?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll

You need help

QDOS were very good

Would they take me on now, even though I'm in the middle of this Troll?

Did you manage to sort it out?
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

Sal, phone 'em and ask them.

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X