• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

home data center

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

home data center

I've just been on ebay and seen the amount of servers, racks etc you can buy at reasonable prices.

How many people here have got rackmount servers at home?

Why would you even dream of that.

I once took a server that I was co-locating for a local comapny to a "server hostnig company" that the client had selected. Ok so its not telehouse or the place in manchester but how bad can it be?

Got there and the address was a semi detached house. In the garden the guy had build a data centre. Fair enough it had a good 10Mbit connection but no UPS, little a/c and no SLA for repairs etc.

Got in car and came home. Bloody joke it was.

Comment

I agree it is completely unnecessary and impractical but it would still be great to have a few servers to play with.

I guess it depends how ‘into’ gadgets you are

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        Why would you even dream of that.

I once took a server that I was co-locating for a local comapny to a "server hostnig company" that the client had selected. Ok so its not telehouse or the place in manchester but how bad can it be?

Got there and the address was a semi detached house. In the garden the guy had build a data centre. Fair enough it had a good 10Mbit connection but no UPS, little a/c and no SLA for repairs etc.

Got in car and came home. Bloody joke it was.

Wouldn't happen to be near Reading would it? PMSL at one down there that was a wooden shed in someone's garden. Apart from the fast connection I could do that at home!
        "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Working...
        X