• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax implications on Secretary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax implications on Secretary

Hi,

Just about to start a new Ltd company and need a secretary, being single I was going to ask my mother or father. They are coming up to retirement, infact my farther already is so I wanted to check if there was any possible tax hits on them and also make sure there would be no consequences for either of their pension payments. I will also check this with the accountant but thought the more advice the better.

Any advice would be appreciated .

Thanks

Steve
    When a man says his word is as good as his bond take his bond.

Originally posted by swebb
    Hi,

Just about to start a new Ltd company and need a secretary, being single I was going to ask my mother or father. They are coming up to retirement, infact my farther already is so I wanted to check if there was any possible tax hits on them and also make sure there would be no consequences for either of their pension payments. I will also check this with the accountant but thought the more advice the better.

Any advice would be appreciated .

Thanks

Steve
    The only implication for a Company Secretary is if you pay him/her a salary for being in that role. If you do, it has to be delcared.

If your parents are retired and not using their full annual tax allowance, you could pay a salary that won't push them over into tax - remember that if this does hapen your company will have to pay Emplyers NI contributions to Gordo.

Comment

Only if you pay them I think. Don't believe the secretary has any financial liabilities for tax or other debts but in theory may have legal liabilities:-

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/abo...a1.shtml#three
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
        Only if you pay them I think. Don't believe the secretary has any financial liabilities for tax or other debts but in theory may have legal liabilities:-

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/abo...a1.shtml#three
        Spot on.

Comment

Cheers for the information guys sounds like it won't be a problem then

Comment

When does the rule about company secretaries change so that companies with only one director don't need a secretary anymore? I'm sure I didn't dream that one.
            "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
              When does the rule about company secretaries change so that companies with only one director don't need a secretary anymore? I'm sure I didn't dream that one.

Pretty sure its already in place...
              Property advisor for the people

Comment

I think I read the rule was in place but didn't come into effect until next year !

Comment

Your accountant may act as secretary ( for a fee ! ), it means a lot of the paperwork will also go direct to them. I would keep the oldies out of it, my Dad still has a go each year as he has to fill in a self assesment after I got him involved in an earlier Ltd I had.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
                    Your accountant may act as secretary ( for a fee ! ), it means a lot of the paperwork will also go direct to them. I would keep the oldies out of it, my Dad still has a go each year as he has to fill in a self assesment after I got him involved in an earlier Ltd I had.
                    Self assesment ! Why were you paying him or have I missed something. I thought if you weren't paying for the role it was basically just a signatory role and the tax man didn't need to get involved at all as far as they were concerned

Comment

Working...
                    X