• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internet Access

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet Access

Who has a strict internet policy at work? When I first started on my contract I was told no internet access unless it was work related. Any personal internet usgae had to be before/after work or during your lunch hour. I was chastised during my first week for accessing the net, but I'm on a project and there is plenty of down-time and I refuse to try and 'make myself look busy'. Team leader complained to agency who phoned me and I told him when I have no work to do I'll access the internet, I'm not going to sit there and stare at the wall. Basically I said to the agency (in diplomatic terms) I'm going to carry on doing what I'm doing and if they want to fire me they can. It's good money, but there are some serious spanners there. I meet all my deadlines and am far more efficent that my permies colleagues so TL will have a hard job trying to get me fired. But I know he's working on it, sneaky little rat!

Go for it! I'm the same... if a client forced no internet access then I would certainly be looking for my next client. Not taking the p1ss, just being honest in that I am capable of managing my workload myself, and fitting in leisure time as I see fit, with the aim of completing all project tasks as required or better.

If it wasn't for the net access, I'd be bored out of my skull here.

The client has a similar policy to yours, but they only send out reminder emails every 6 months or so to all staff/contractors. I doubt they actively monitor.

Even if they did complain about my net access, they couldn't complain about my work quality or efficiency. And that's what counts.

Comment

I got the boot for it on one site. Second or third day on an obvious dog of a project and no logins to any systems but I had internet access so I obviousy used it. Some big boss saw me using hotmail and demanded I get the boot, I didn't bother arguing.

Comment

Isnt accessing this site work related? The technical section anyway...

I take same view of the register...

Comment

Avoid that by being a web developer. Internet access is pretty crucial to the role.
          "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
            Avoid that by being a web developer. Internet access is pretty crucial to the role.
            But then you get paid peanuts!

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
              But then you get paid peanuts!
              But they can't complain when I turn up in a monkey suit and start putting my banana in the secretaries.
              "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Working...
              X