• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop and PC - Shared Data

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop and PC - Shared Data

I use a Laptop during the day and a PC whilst at home as it is quicker than the Laptop...

I want to have the same data on both (i.e. files and email) but as it stands my method is to use memory sticks and keep transferring which is a nightmare and frankly doesn't work.

What is the easiest way to do this...
    Property advisor for the people

If you have a proper computer - http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/features.html
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

If most of your laptop time was spent on the Internet, you could set up a VPN at home and login to it from work.

Comment

Originally posted by Vito
        I use a Laptop during the day and a PC whilst at home as it is quicker than the Laptop...

I want to have the same data on both (i.e. files and email) but as it stands my method is to use memory sticks and keep transferring which is a nightmare and frankly doesn't work.

Do you have a domain or workgroup home network with say a switch or hub?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
          Do you have a domain or workgroup home network with say a switch or hub?

Uh??

Sorry...just a dumb retailer!

Comment

Uh??

Sorry...just a dumb retailer!
            Ok. Ideally, you need to have an ethernet network with a hub or switch to connect both your PC and laptop.

Alternatively you'd need to connect both computers with a cross-over cable or serial cable so they can comunicate with each other.

If you then go to www.freedownloads.com and search for file synchronisation, you can view an array of free shareware and licensed software that will do the job over a connection described above.

If networking 2 PC's together is too much like geekdom, you'd best find a consultant who can advise on site.

Comment

For email, use IMAP and not POP. IMAP organises your mail on the server, POP is made for delivering it to your computer.

For data (including local copies of email), why not use an external disk? Much safer than memory stick for regular access, and you can use that as the primary storage, and take the opportunity to use your 2 PCs as local backups.

Edit: sorry, I failed to notice that you apparently do take the laptop home. Well, it still works. Or get a faster laptop!
              Last edited by Euro-commuter; 1 May 2007, 12:55.
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                Ok. Ideally, you need to have an ethernet network with a hub or switch to connect both your PC and laptop.

Alternatively you'd need to connect both computers with a cross-over cable or serial cable so they can comunicate with each other.

If you then go to www.freedownloads.com and search for file synchronisation, you can view an array of free shareware and licensed software that will do the job over a connection described above.

If networking 2 PC's together is too much like geekdom, you'd best find a consultant who can advise on site.

Ah...I understand now...I have a router which i guess is what you mean by a Hub or a Switch...I can connect to this either by cable or wireless...

Will check out the software later and give it a go...I'm not quite as bad as I might have suggested, I just don't get the lingo most of the time!

Thanks for your help...

Comment

as it stands my method is to use memory sticks and keep transferring which is a nightmare and frankly doesn't work.
                  Staying with the low-tech stuff, there are synchronisation tools which work well with memory sticks... I think the "U3" ones all come with such a utility, and syncback is good as a general-purpose one. If you aren't switching between machines frequently then this might actually be a reasonable route to follow.

Comment

Working...
                  X