• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stamp Duty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp Duty

Is it possible to roll this into mortgage?
    It gets quite hefty when its 3%-4% of the total. I wish they would review this tax the thresholds should have been raised by now given the level or house price rises. My new system is

0-200k - 1%
    201k-500k-2%
    501k-1m - 3%
    > 1m - 4%

although it would be like income tax where a house of 300k would pay
    1% of 200k = 2k +
    2% of 100k = 2k
    = 4k.

It's called fiscal drag a review would mean employing more Civil servants.

Just paid almost 10K on stamp duty, almost 3 weeks wages, I'm fuming...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
      It's called fiscal drag a review would mean employing more Civil servants.

Just paid almost 10K on stamp duty, almost 3 weeks wages, I'm fuming...
      Serves you right for buying such an expensive house!

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        Serves you right for buying such an expensive house!
        350K not that much these days

Comment

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
          350K not that much these days
          10k on a £350,000 house!

I was only going to pay £1670 on my house and thats half the price!!!

Comment

There a lot of people working in Brighton on stamp duty, handling cruddy old paper based reports (in the days when I used to send them from the finance companies I worked for ).

I thought at the time that it must be borderline that the money lost by not collecting stamp duty would be saved by sacking all the people that work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo
              There a lot of people working in Brighton on stamp duty, handling cruddy old paper based reports (in the days when I used to send them from the finance companies I worked for ).

I thought at the time that it must be borderline that the money lost by not collecting stamp duty would be saved by sacking all the people that work on it.
              Goes for most taxation systems. IIRC if they got rid of all tax apart from a flat rate income tax the tax paid would be really quite a lot lower, but there'd be lots and lots of unemployable civil servants let loose on the streets...
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                Goes for most taxation systems. IIRC if they got rid of all tax apart from a flat rate income tax the tax paid would be really quite a lot lower, but there'd be lots and lots of unemployable civil servants let loose on the streets...

Every one of them wanting a job in IT management!!!

Now there's a scary thought!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                  Every one of them wanting a job in IT management!!!

Now there's a scary thought!!!
                  They couldn't do any worse than the idiots round here. Although they would be half the cost.

As long as they can still sign their name(on my timesheet) Id be happy

Comment

I'm just about to shell out 10Kish ! It could be worse, somebody told me in Florida its 2% per annum, probably coming our way soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X