• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nov 26th... we all die

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nov 26th... we all die

Black hole on Earth

T'is the end of days & all very Biblical
    1 in 50.000.00 chance of a catastrophe- creation of new type of matter -stranglets which would destroy the planet or the fabric of space ripped apart (but they did say the atom bomb would burn the atmosphere)

In the coming months the most complex scientific instrument ever built will be switched on. The Large Hadron Collider promises to recreate the conditions right after the Big Bang. By revisiting the beginning of time, scientists hope to unravel some of the deepest secrets of our Universe.

Within these first few moments the building blocks of the Universe were created. The search for these fundamental particles has occupied scientists for decades but there remains one particle that has stubbornly refused to appear in any experiment. The Higgs Boson is so crucial to our understanding of the Universe that it has been dubbed the God particle. It explains how fundamental particles acquire mass, or as one scientist plainly states: "It is what makes stuff stuff..."
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

That worries me - I think this and similar projects should be shutdown until time when they can be done in separate galaxies many hundreds light years away from major population centers.

Comment

I think that's when the extension I'm about to sign will end. Looks like I'm not going to get any time off then.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's times like this when we should reconsider getting Prescott back in service and flown over to Cern pronto to dampen the Higgs field.

(I fell asleep (wine induced) halfway though the BBC docu - anyone know whether it's on again?)
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
          Black hole on Earth

T'is the end of days & all very Biblical
          1 in 50.000.00 chance of a catastrophe- creation of new type of matter -stranglets which would destroy the planet or the fabric of space ripped apart (but they did say the atom bomb would burn the atmosphere)
          They reckon some cosmic rays can be many orders more energetic than the largest energies that will be obtained in the LHC, and we're still here. See A black hole ate my planet (a New Scientist article from 1999)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Haha Horizon are such drama queens sometimes.

A quantum black hole only exists for a tiny fraction of a second.

Comment

Originally posted by SoupDragon
              Haha Horizon are such drama queens sometimes.

A quantum black hole only exists for a tiny fraction of a second.
              Is that not long enough? Black holes don't need time to rev up and go through the gears you know!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
                A black hole ate my planet (a New Scientist article from 1999

Arthur C. Clarke once raised the possibility that some of those vast explosions we see in the cosmos may be smart-alec alien scientists getting their comeuppance for tinkering with the quantum vacuum: 'they might be industrial accidents' he said.
                Di that happen to anyone you know, zeity?

Comment

If it evaporates, it can't suck us up.

If it sucks stuff up it can't evaporate.

So I would assume it doesn't suck stuff up.

Comment

It could suck us up, and then evaporate.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X