• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Generic Fixed Price Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generic Fixed Price Contract

My local has probems with their Point of Sale system and often ask me for help as I have considerable experience of PoS system development.

Now I start thinking about IR35 and the surrounding issues.

If I were to agree a low-level fixed price support contract with the pub, would this count towards having multiple concurrent contracts and, therefore, provide some insulation from my "day rate" contract, regardless of the wording/practices of that contract?

Or would Gordo treat my day-rate contract as distinct anyway?

My understanding is that IR35 has little to do with "multiple concurrent contracts". Each contract is judged individually on IR35 compliance.

Therefore, if your daytime contract failed IR35, you'd be required to pay the additional costs on that, and if your pub contract failed IR35, you'd be required to pay additional costs on that.

Comment

I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that multiple concurrent contracts means that you could not be classed as an employee of the end client.

Comment

Originally posted by shaeney
        I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that multiple concurrent contracts means that you could not be classed as an employee of the end client.
        If that's true I'd be glad to have a mutual support contract with some other IT contractor - They can ask my advice and v.v. for a small fee.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I used to live in Swansea, until I realised that the local IT industry consisted of EDS, and some people doing websites for their mates for £200 a shot.

Shame, lovely place it is too...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
            If that's true I'd be glad to have a mutual support contract with some other IT contractor - They can ask my advice and v.v. for a small fee.
            Exactly, people aren't stupid and would soon start fabricating the illusion of concurrent contracts just to escape IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
              My understanding is that IR35 has little to do with "multiple concurrent contracts". Each contract is judged individually on IR35 compliance.

Therefore, if your daytime contract failed IR35, you'd be required to pay the additional costs on that, and if your pub contract failed IR35, you'd be required to pay additional costs on that.
              My understanding too. There is a simple rule: if you can think up a most brain damaged conclusion to a set of rules that will be the solution the IR chooses, until forced to do otherwise, and that might not happen either.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I thought that many different contracts (concurrent or not) would be a pointer away from IR35 too.

(And I'm in Swansea as well. Affordable housing!)

Comment

Originally posted by timh
                  Affordable housing!
                  In local earnings terms, I put it in line with Mayfair, Richmond upon Thames and maybe some parts of Surrey if you're lucky. Do you actually contract in Swansea?

Comment

I'm contracting here at the moment - though that's an anomaly, and it's for 100/day less than my London rate.. I think there might well be more work here in future though, the SA1 development seems to be improving things a bit.

I'm usually away for about 6 months of the year, working from home for 3, and enjoying myself for the remaining 3.

Comment

Working...
                    X