• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overseas Bank Account.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overseas Bank Account.

With the man known as Gordon ready to pounce on anybody with an overseas bank account via his new powers to force UK banks to disclose details of their customers with these types of bank accounts, has anybody got any experience of running a bank account that’s non UK? A Swiss one for example ?

I take it that the TAX man cannot make such demands to see people back details if the bank in question is not based in the UK (but we are…) ?

How do you open such accounts? And good web links?

Obviously, I’m not asking this to avoid any tax (shudder at the thought…).

Originally posted by pierretopping
    I take it that the TAX man cannot make such demands to see people back details if the bank in question is not based in the UK (but we are…) ?
    You would be incorrect in that assumption.

Unless you are Philip Green wealthy, just pay the "right" amount of tax. After all, it's only fair. Contractors other than Threaded aren't wealthy enough to play that game.

Comment

http://swiss-bank-accounts.com/e/ban...ecy/index.html

?????

Comment

Originally posted by pierretopping
        Swiss will reveal - but it does normally require a reasonable allegation of serious crime. Oddly enough these allegations often disappear shortly after bank details have been disclosed.

I think that is how they eventaully got Octav Botnar.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
          You would be incorrect in that assumption.

Unless you are Philip Green wealthy, just pay the "right" amount of tax. After all, it's only fair. Contractors other than Threaded aren't wealthy enough to play that game.

Try some of the third world banks, Habib, ICICI? My wife had a good amount stashed away in one of them and the court never did find out about it.

Then you could also reside over seas for a while, setup bank account and then return.

I haven't been caught so far.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

How will you get your money out of the country without it going through a UK based bank first?

But the gist is, Gordo has you by the gonads. The bank I work in has until the middle of June to provide details for every single person who has transferred money to an overseas account.

I fear that horse has already bolted for you.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
              How will you get your money out of the country without it going through a UK based bank first?

But the gist is, Gordo has you by the gonads. The bank I work in has until the middle of June to provide details for every single person who has transferred money to an overseas account.

Mailman
              They've also apparently got details of the debit/credit cards being used to withdraw cash from offshore accounts thru cash machines. Do you know how far back they are going back ? I've declared my last 2 years of overseas interest, probably going to take up this 10% penalty offer to backdate some earlier years. I know some ex colleagues are going to be having a few sleepless nights ! If you've got the bottle I reckon you'll get away with it if you just keep quiet.

Comment

You also want to watch out transferring money from a UK account to a foreign one. I moved some money from my UK account to my German account and it took 3 sodding weeks. Because it was a large amount, it has to be traced first to make sure its not come from illegal doings. I get paid directly into my German account but have another one somewhere else for sums not earnt in Germany.

One of the interesting sights to see here is the road from Luxembourg into Germany as the police tend to stop luxury cars as they've all been to the bank to top up without declaring it in Germany, oh how I laughed!
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
                  Do you know how far back they are going back ?
                  They have only asked for 2006 data but I suspect that if they see someone transferring large amounts of money regularly they will ask for more info on that person???

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman

Mailman
                    Hawala anyone. As long as its small amounts it won't catch their radar...and its all done cash as well.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X