• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Language training

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language training

Hi

I am looking to expand online business to clients in Germany (chiefly Berlin, simply because I am there frequently for personal reasons).

My question is, would private German tuition be tax deductable?

Obviously I could ask my accountancy SJD, but thought I may as well ask you friendly bunch, with the added benefit that the answer to the question will be public.

Marcos

If it is solely for your business then I would bloody hope so. Pay for it through the business mate - you know it makes sense.

Can't be any less of a business expense than my new iPod (I need to listen to lectures and training seminars on the train) and my antique dining table and chairs (the company needs a place to hold meetings).

Let the tax man argue it out of you ever get investigated I reckon

Anyone got any experience of this? Would be handy to know before I buy my 42" TV for watching training vids in my office

How can an inspector tell for certain that something is not solely for business use? If it is in the office and not somewhere else in the house (i.e. move it all in there before he comes and load up the iPod with tulipe in case he wants to see it) then how can he prove something is not solely for the business?

Comment

Working...
    X