• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Extension ..Should I take??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Extension ..Should I take??

Have been with this client since Dec 2006(450 p/day). Just had a chat this morning, they are willing to extend till Nov 2007, on the same rate but on a 4day a week basis. I do like the client and I am enjoying am the project.

Should I go for this extension or turn it down...?
    Or do I take the extension and negotiate for an increase...?

It is rather quiet in my field at the moment though.

Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life

Better the devil you know sunshine. I'd neogiate though if you're going to be losing a day - thats over £20K a year you're missing out on. Ask for £500/day.

Comment

Originally posted by oloks
      Have been with this client since Dec 2006(450 p/day). Just had a chat this morning, they are willing to extend till Nov 2007, on the same rate but on a 4day a week basis. I do like the client and I am enjoying am the project.

Should I go for this extension or turn it down...?
      Or do I take the extension and negotiate for an increase...?

It is rather quiet in my field at the moment though.

Sounds like a work it out for yourself job to me ! One thing to be wary of is the 4 day a week bit, clearly point out to the client that anything above a 7.5 hour day will be charged for.

Comment

Maybe there's a middle ground, i.e. alternate 4 and 5 day weeks?

I'd take it if I was in that position. No point having the money if you work yourself into an early grave. Just don't get too used to the three day weekends.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I have a similar predicament.

Have the option of extending but not sure because:-

Money low (300 a day)

I’d lose my security clearance

Work average.

Part of me says better the devil you know but my real Q is, how much value do you all think the security clearance is worth? If it lapses I am guessing all public sector work will beclosed off to me?

would you leave and try to get a job in Gov to keep your security clearance?

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy

Money low (300 a day)

Work average.

Part of me says better the devil you know but my real Q is, how much value do you all think the security clearance is worth? If it lapses I am guessing all public sector work will beclosed off to me?

Personaly I would keep hold of the clearance. I am also security cleared and if I leave a SC gig then it would only be for 6months max then try and get another SC gig. Really depends whats out there for you though. Once you have lost your clearance, after being out of a SC gig for 12 months, then its going to be pretty much impossible to get it back. With clearance I find the rates are a fair bit higher than those without.

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy

Money low (300 a day)

Work average.

I know nothing about security clearance my end client is a government department. I presume it depends on the department (are you contracting with MoD, Foreign Office, Home Office?)

Comment

All my contracts have required gov security clearance and it has served me well, I don’t reckon I'd stand a chance in the commercial world these days with so much competition about.

It depends if you are genuinely highly skilled and fancy your chances or like me ‘joe average’ landing higher than expected rates thanks to SC clearance, I'm happy to carry on only taking SC work for as long as possible!
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Surely you can get the security clearance back?

I'm also approaching extension time, and I've verbally agreed to another 6 months but I've been putting off putting pen to paper as I can't help wondering if I could get myself into a better paying position elsewhere. What I'm doing now is pretty easy, there's no real pressure, I get to work at home some of the time, but is a little boring. Is a harder, more stressful job worth the extra cash? Maybe it is. But then the last job I had was considerably less cash than this one and harder and more stressful as well.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                    Surely you can get the security clearance back?
                    Of course you can but when the pimp needs someone ASAP they will bin every CV without it, I know this is wrong and possibly illegal but that’s the situation I'm afraid.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X