• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract - Tied in for 6 months - IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract - Tied in for 6 months - IR35?

I am applying for a gig at Reuters. They want to use a contract which ties you in for 6 months - they only have to give 2 weeks notice if they want shot of you. Does this affect IR35 status?

Originally posted by SoupDragon
    I am applying for a gig at Reuters. They want to use a contract which ties you in for 6 months - they only have to give 2 weeks notice if they want shot of you. Does this affect IR35 status?
    you mean you have to give then 6 months notice if you want to terminate ?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

It is really IR35 neutral as it stands. If they want that level of notice and you want a good non-IR35 defence, ask them for a zero days notice period. Only employees have to be given notice, suppliers can be dropped at any time.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
        you mean you have to give then 6 months notice if you want to terminate ?
        Yah - the contract is 6 months. So basically you have to do the whole thing or you in trouble boy.

Malvolio - good point

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
          It is really IR35 neutral as it stands. If they want that level of notice and you want a good non-IR35 defence, ask them for a zero days notice period. Only employees have to be given notice, suppliers can be dropped at any time.
          I've got a big gig at a similar place.

My contract specifies NO notice period.

Previous contract at another big financial institution terminated my contract at 4:30pm one Friday afternoon and said don't come in on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by SoupDragon
            Reuters are paying £1 per hour for contractors to work in gdansk in poland

Comment

Originally posted by Dobra
              Reuters are paying £1 per hour for contractors to work in gdansk in poland
              so what ?

it's all relative.
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Not sure its quite as simple as this...suppliers can be dropped at any time it is true, but rarely without financial penalties.
                Property advisor for the people

Comment

And your point is? You signed up for three months work at £300 a day and you've been dropped after two, so not earning £6k is not a financial penalty?

It is that simple. No notice is no MOO is no IR35. Notice is for permies and wimps.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

And your point is? You signed up for three months work at £300 a day and you've been dropped after two, so not earning £6k is not a financial penalty?

It is that simple. No notice is no MOO is no IR35. Notice is for permies and wimps.
                    You seem to have missed Vito's point.

If I were to terminate my telephone service contract, I would undoubtedly have to serve some notice period.

The purchaser of the service should pay a penalty when terminating a contract for services early.

What is the difference whether the service supplied is a telephone or a consultant?
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X