PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection niggle

SoupDragon
3rd May 2007, 10:39
My net connection often gets 'stuck' when I request a page. I have to press the browser stop button and click refresh and it usually loads straight away.

Where is the issue? My crappy linksys router? My ISP?

Kyajae
3rd May 2007, 11:08
My net connection often gets 'stuck' when I request a page. I have to press the browser stop button and click refresh and it usually loads straight away.

How many computers share the internet connection?

SoupDragon
3rd May 2007, 11:26
How many computers share the internet connection?
Just one (wireless) with WAG encryption. It never used to be like this though.

XTC
3rd May 2007, 11:59
Sounds like a software issue. Download Opera or some other browser other than IE, see if that works. Also clear History, cookies, offlines etc. If it still does it check that it's not a wireless issue, plug straight into router wiv Lan cable, also see if u can get hold of another laptop to test out connection. I doubt it's the ISP. If it's a wireless issue, try changing channel on router and/or resetting router to factory settings.

XTC
3rd May 2007, 12:00
Oh and remove encryption temporarily and test it out.

Kyajae
3rd May 2007, 12:03
WAG encryption.

What is WAG?

SoupDragon
3rd May 2007, 12:17
I use firefox so I would hope its not that.

I meant WEP not WAG :freaky:

I'll try connecting a LAN cable and see if that makes a difference, thanks.

XTC
3rd May 2007, 12:39
I use firefox so I would hope its not that.

I meant WEP not WAG :freaky:

I'll try connecting a LAN cable and see if that makes a difference, thanks.

U watch that w*nky WAGs show don't u?

Ok try IE instead of Firefox.

PRC1964
3rd May 2007, 15:09
WEP is almost worthless

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6595703.stm

"Breaking in to a WEP protected network is now very easy to do," said Erik Tews, one of the researchers.
"Doing it in 60 seconds is realistic, or five minutes in the very worst case. We think now that WEP is really dead and we recommend that no-one should use it."

SoupDragon
3rd May 2007, 17:11
I know but nobody else lives within 100 meters of my house. The wireless has trouble going around one corner so I don't think I need to worry.

ASB
3rd May 2007, 17:33
I know but nobody else lives within 100 meters of my house. The wireless has trouble going around one corner so I don't think I need to worry.

some strange things can happen though. I have some problems with the wireless range in asb towers, sometimes can't connect from the study. My next door neighbour 400 yards can often get on my network though (and me theirs) :confused:

cojak
4th May 2007, 10:42

Linksys routers aren't usually considered crappy as Linksys is a Cisco company.

chef
4th May 2007, 10:59
who's your ISP?

I was with Pipex until they took over Caudwell Communications (i.e Bulldog etc.) and since then the connection was crap as the systems were overloaded, there customer service was awful ( i blame that on the Hoff) and so i switched to Zen, no problems whatsoever and a faster connection :yay:

Fishface
4th May 2007, 11:53
Linksys routers aren't usually considered crappy as Linksys is a Cisco company.

I have to disagree (unusually) with kojack Linksys are sh1te routers and modems - I have gone through 3 within warranty - bit like renting them from linksys really - gave up at number 4.

They do drop connections - VPN is a nightmare even with ports configured, and loads of other stuff is rubbish also.

Draytek is the way forward - pay more yes - but superior in all ways.