• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland's indepencence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland's indepencence

Serious question: why is it that English contributors to this debate all want to prevent Scotland governing itself; except for some who insist that they are desperate to be rid of us?

Why does nobody say, "how the Scots are governed is their own biusiness, if they want it to be"?
    Last edited by Euro-commuter; 4 May 2007, 08:12.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Serious answer: why do you imagine any English posters on this board could influence the decision either way?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
      Serious question: why is it that English contributors to this debate all want to prevent Scotland governing itself; except for some who insist that they are desperate to be rid of us?

Why does nobody say, "how the Scots are governed is their own biusiness, if they want it to be"?
      Don't make the mistake of thinking "how the Scots are governed is their own business", because while Scotland is part of the UK, it is very much the business of the English as well. The Scots hold the balance of power in the UK parliament.

I'm in favour because independence for Scotland would take Labour's majority in the UK with it. Including and especially Gordon Brown.

There is also:

1. The Midlothian question goes away.

2. If Scotland joined the EU as a separate nation, like ROI, they would do better on their own, what with all the grants they'd get. And there is little reason for the EU not to accept them.

3. Independence might motivate Scots to improve their productivity.

Comment

Actually I'm just in the argument for a laugh. I don't care either way. I don't believe in government for anyone at all. Government is an attempt at legitimisation of the outcome of the centralisation inherent to the fuedal system. Which country government you have is, after all, the result of the machinations between various bands of heavily armed thugs running protection rackets. It still goes on today with government institutions run by bureaucrats who are responsible to no one and often ill-treat the citizenship. This ill treatment, or the perception of it, leads groups to think they'll be happier doing the government job themselves. Big mistake, you'll still have your government.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

[QUOTE=threaded] I don't believe in government for anyone at all. Government is an attempt at legitimisation of the outcome of the centralisation inherent to the fuedal system. [QUOTE]

Have you ever thought about a job in politics?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

While a lot of stuff posted on here does not exactly reflect public opinion 100%, it does seem to reflect emerging opinion. If Scotland chooses opt out the union then so be it but the situation is current situation is more complex than simply choosing the preferred method of government and current actions will have consequences.

Firstly, I am far from convinced that SNP resurgence is not more of an anti-Blair protest (surely something that many on here would concur with?) and may not translate into a firm desire for independence - I just don't see real enthusiasm for it in friends and family back up the road. There is also a huge movement towards an newly discovered isolationist stance following Iraq ("honest mate, nothing to do with me") that might be understandable to some extent but is unsustainable - fortunately it also seems to be challenged more and more.

While all this breaking-the-mould, internal debate and soul-searching is going on in Scotland there are emerging consequences. The most immediate is that the English are forming a new view on the union that will change the terms of our relationship whatever the outcome of the Alex Salmonds career. No-one is going to stop Scotland going its own way, if that is what they want, but the current status quo is going to change as our neighbours are becoming a wee bit less willing to persuade us to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              Actually I'm just in the argument for a laugh. I don't care either way. I don't believe in government for anyone at all. Government is an attempt at legitimisation of the outcome of the centralisation inherent to the fuedal system. Which country government you have is, after all, the result of the machinations between various bands of heavily armed thugs running protection rackets. It still goes on today with government institutions run by bureaucrats who are responsible to no one and often ill-treat the citizenship. This ill treatment, or the perception of it, leads groups to think they'll be happier doing the government job themselves. Big mistake, you'll still have your government.
              In other words - no matter who you vote for - The Government always gets in.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                In other words - no matter who you vote for - The Government always gets in.
                I think he is advocating the opposite actually Alf.

Comment

I personlay do not want Scotland to govern itself as that requires a break up of the Union and that is not something I want to see. I believe Britain is stronger than each of its individual countries.

While we are on these questions.
                  Why do the Scots not believe that they already do govern themselves through the current system?
                  Why do the Scots insist that Westminster is too far away to understand the needs of Scotland, but Brussels isn't?
                  Why do the Scots believe that Scotland will be better represented as part of the EU than it is in Britain?

Or could it be that the Scots are racist against the English?
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                    I personlay do not want Scotland to govern itself as that requires a break up of the Union and that is not something I want to see. I believe Britain is stronger than each of its individual countries.

While we are on these questions.
                    Why do the Scots not believe that they already do govern themselves through the current system?
                    Why do the Scots insist that Westminster is too far away to understand the needs of Scotland, but Brussels isn't?
                    Why do the Scots believe that Scotland will be better represented as part of the EU than it is in Britain?

Or could it be that the Scots are racist against the English?
                    The last one?
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X