• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UFOs - bollocks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UFOs - bollocks?

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/003234.html

Are UFOs going to be the new religion now the slightly more intelligent amongst us no longer fall for the man on a cross sideshow. Strange how all these gods choose to represent themselves in a human form.

A friend of mine is well into UFO stuff. Only the other night after we'd got bored with watching Man U rolling over he was on about a new DVD he'd got called "UFO the greatest story ever denied". Though this is the same guy that's convinced "Loose Change" is accurate about 9/11.

I'm not so sure about UFOs myself. No doubt there's life out there somewhere, just not convinced they've found us. Everything seems to vague. With all the cameras and technology around nowadays they'd have to be pretty good at hiding to keep such a low profile.

I think it's another power trip by humans thinking we're so damn special on our tiny rock in the middle of nowhere. Always got to be the centre of attention.

One giant lizard on a contractor forum isn't going to convince me either, unless he cares to pay a visit. No appointment necessary. May have trouble parking the spaceship unless you've got a permit though.
    "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Weird that almost all of those who walked on the Moon - all rational, well educated men had an epiphany moment and were changed forever - and why do so many scientists have faith - you would imagine that since science by its nature is proof based there would be no accomodation of faith
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
      Weird that almost all of those who walked on the Moon - all rational, well educated men had an epiphany moment and were changed forever
      "My god its full of stars" ?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
        "My god its full of stars" ?
        Arthur was pissed when he wrote that.

Comment

Last nights CSI (Season 7, Episode 22) told us what to do with the lizard aliens !
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

By definition, if it flies and you don't know what it is, it's a UFO, so I guess lots have people have seen UFOs.

Spaceships from another planet, now that would be different.

Comment

Faith in god? They're just edging their bets, there's still a lot to learn about the universe.

There's no reason if there is a god for us not to have conclusive proof from the great man himself. What has 'he' to gain from the current approach of it all being based on faith?

Maybe once you've been fortunate enough to go into space and walk on the moon that you realise how insignificant our planet is to the universe, and any pretensions of religion and other man made perceptions are shown for their true worth.

Life is about the journey from birth to death. Nothing else can be certain, yet. Some people aren't strong enough to live with that and turn to religion for support. It's a shame they get exploited so much, but that's human nature for you.
              "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by Buffoon
                Last nights CSI (Season 7, Episode 22) told us what to do with the lizard aliens !
                Purposely didn't watch it as I'm only up to season 5 so far. Not that each episode has a lot of back story tying them together but I'll persevere on my chosen path.

Did barbequing have anything to do with it? We've tried eating just about everything else!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
                  There's no reason if there is a god for us not to have conclusive proof from the great man himself. What has 'he' to gain from the current approach of it all being based on faith?
                  He gains man's belief in his own mortality, which is important for the choices people make.

Absolute proof of god, heaven and all that mallarky would severely change how people would live their lives, and they could use that knowledge badly. We could have more suicide bombers for example, and the environment could be left to go to pot, because we know we'll all end up safely in heaven regardless.

And I guess there would also be downsides if there were absolute proof of no god. There would probably be a bit of depression and apathy as people struggle with the point of it all. Hedonism would probably rule for many, often at the expense of others.

Comment

The question for me is who/what is God, not does he exist. Whatever the answer is all mainstream modern religions would be dissapointed to be hear it.
                    Last edited by pisces; 4 May 2007, 13:08.

Comment

Working...
                    X