• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sign of times: Store bosses set off fire alarm then sack staff in car park

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sign of times: Store bosses set off fire alarm then sack staff in car park

It is rarely a pleasant experience and one that demands a sensitive and caring approach.

For bosses at a struggling department store on the brink of closure letting 140 staff go was never going to be easy.

But rather than call each employee in one-by-one or sending an apologetic letter, email or text, they chose a totally different approach.

They set off the fire alarm, assembled the workforce in the car park and then read out a short statement informing them they no longer had a job to go to.

Last night, the controversial move by bosses at Robbs - a landmark store in the Northumberland market town of Hexham for 189 years - was condemned by the local Tory MP.

Peter Atkinson said: "I understand that the alarm was sounded to gather them all in the same place, where they were given notice of redundancy.

"It is a rather brutal way of doing things, especially when you consider that many of the staff have given many years of loyal service to the store."

Mr Atkinson added: "It is the end of a long era. It takes away part of the history and character of the town and that's very sad."

The staff, unaware of what was about to come, had gathered in the car park on Wednesday morning expecting it to be nothing more than a fire drill.

But in front of stunned customers, who had also evacuated the building, they were told that there was some "bad news".

Having fallen into difficult times and with its parent company in administration a buyer had not been forthcoming and the store was to close in two weeks, they were told.

Before being ordered to return to work they were told not to speak to the media about the impending closure.

But one devastated employee said: "The way we've been treated is appalling and to find out in this way has infuriated a lot of people."

The crushing news came after parent company, Owen Owen, went into administration earlier this year.

The company had already sold the 100,000sq ft store to Scottish property company Buccleuch last September for £7.7m in a sale and leaseback deal but had hoped to find a buyer before now.

Last night, a spokesman for the company said: "It is at the discretion of the store management how the staff are given the news. The fire alarm was set off to clear the store of members of the public."

He said talks with a potential buyer had collapsed and so the store would inevitably have to close.

"It is disappointing that a buyer for Robbs has not been secured to date. Without a decision from interested parties, it makes the continuity of trade non-profitable and we will therefore be forced to close the store on May 12. A final stock sale will begin in store.

"We appreciate that this is a difficult time for everyone involved and I would again like to thank all employees, store concessions and customers for their continued support during the administration process."

The closure of the store has also raised fears about the future of the local post office and butchers who operate from the same building.

Tynedale Council chief executive Richard Robson said: "This is obviously extremely disappointing news. We are initiating discussions with the property owners and are also in discussion with the Post Office to establish whether it would be possible to maintain the franchise in its current location or, failing that, to find suitable alternative premises in or near the town centre."

-------

Next they will burn staff in the store and claim insurance!

Another redundancy tale..

..I recall many years ago how Texas Instruments used to lay off staff. In those days there was a company bus that took the workers in, one day the bus stood at the entrance having dropped off all the workers but left the engine running. It seems that the driver knew before the poor effected souls themselves as they were marched out again after 5 minutes with P45s.

Oh....the joys of employment in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisAndThat
      ..I recall many years ago how Texas Instruments used to lay off staff. In those days there was a company bus that took the workers in, one day the bus stood at the entrance having dropped off all the workers but left the engine running. It seems that the driver knew before the poor effected souls themselves as they were marched out again after 5 minutes with P45s.

Are these the employment rights that you fail to have if you are a contractor?
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

During my permie days I was once summoned to a presentation to all the staff. During the presentation the MD announced that envelopes were being distributed to all individuals during the meeting and that for some, the envelopes contained notice of redundancy.... for the those not affected the envelope contained details of the restructuring.
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by ThisAndThat

affected

That is a common mistake, for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            affected

That is a common mistake, for some reason.
            The reason is a lack of a classical education i.e. going to a comprehensive, in this example it shows in not knowing the difference between an [x] and a [y].

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              The reason is a lack of a classical education i.e. going to a comprehensive
              The sign of that is surely "wouldn't of".

Comment

Working...
              X