• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bank Holiday ghost ship office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bank Holiday ghost ship office

Who else has chosen to work today? I'm currently the sole contractor on a floor of permies, so the office has an eerie ghostship feel on public holidays.
    I expect the usual inane and mildly stroppy conversation with security guards as I interrupt their poker game to let me in.
    May as well be working, the weather is pants, I have money to earn (went permie for too long after the post dot com bubble burst) and strangely the time goes quicker without any people to irritate and distract you.
    Of course this time next year I'll be fabulously wealthy and may choose not to work on bank holidays. But make hay while the sun shines, seven years of plenty seven years of famine etc..etc....
    "Holiday guilt" has to be one of the worst aspects of contracting, I always mention it to placate jealous permies (the other annoying aspect of contracting) who are obsessed by trying to find out how much you earn in the pub.

I'm in doing some integration testing in one of the labs here.

However, as I'm salaried so don't get paid extra . However, just think of the bonus in June...

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass
      "Holiday guilt" has to be one of the worst aspects of contracting, I always mention it to placate jealous permies (the other annoying aspect of contracting) who are obsessed by trying to find out how much you earn in the pub.
      Just tell them you earn as much as they would if they went contracting, and leave it at that. It always shuts them up.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

No bank holiday here in Norway -
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

None here in Denmark either, but we did have one last Friday instead.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass
            I always mention it to placate jealous permies (the other annoying aspect of contracting) who are obsessed by trying to find out how much you earn in the pub.
            You have a part-time job in a pub as well as a full time contract? Kudos to you

Comment

Have got two coming up though, consititution day on the 17th and Whit Monday on the 28th (no idea)
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It's definitely a perk of contracting - choosing when to take my bank holidays.

Comment

Anyone in Sweden? We have our server support based over there and someone told me yesterday that they all take 6-8 weeks off in Summer. Hows that going to work...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
                    Have got two coming up though, consititution day on the 17th and Whit Monday on the 28th (no idea)
                    We have Kristihimmelfartsdag on the 17th, and Whitmonday on the 28th. Whit, i.e. White due to the colours of the clothes the kiddies wear who are getting baptised or confirmed on the Sunday, and this is the Monday after that White-Sunday.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X