• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Liability

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liability

After many years working for one company and recently having been made redundant I have been offered a temporary contract covering for an IT manager who is currently on long term sick. The contract looks fine apart from the section below on liability.

Being new to the contracting game my questions are, is this a standard entry into a temporary contract? Should I be concerned about it? And is there any way to protect my self against these liabilities?

Many thanks for any information.

----
    The contractor is liable for any loss, damage or injury to the client resulting from his negligent act or omission during the project, but only to the extent that such loss, damage or injury does not result from any negligent act or omission on the part of the Client, its employees or agents.
    ---

Oh dear.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Yes it is common.

Most clients insist on you having liability insurance to cover yourself for a few million. Dallas and Kirkland do a reasonably-priced one.

Comment

It's saying if you cause an accident they are not liable for damages, you are - unless the accident was in turn a result of their negligence. For example, you trip and pour a cup of coffee into the photocopier, you pay for the repairs, unless you tripped over one of their cables

It's not a problem to accept it. To protect agaisnt any resultant losses is why you would have PLI insurance - for a temp contract that's probably not a worthwhile expenditure, but if you are going to do permanent contracting (if you see what I mean) the usual package of PI/PLI/ELI is a good idea.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's another cost which contractors have to pay which permies don't factor in when it comes to comparing their salary whith our hourly/daily rate.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Well, as long as people are still having promiscuous sex with many anonymous partners without protection, while at the same time experimenting with mind-expanding drugs in a consequence-free environment, I'll be sound as a pound.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              Well, as long as people are still having promiscuous sex with many anonymous partners without protection, while at the same time experimenting with mind-expanding drugs in a consequence-free environment, I'll be sound as a pound.
              Well done, Austin!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                Well done, Austin!
                Ah, that's it - Jane Austin! I knew I'd read that somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  Steve Austin?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                    My fav. Jan Austen quote: A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of.

Comment

Working...
                    X