• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How is this a printer issue?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is this a printer issue?

Tax Credit Mistake

HMRC has apologised to 42,000 claimants for its mistake
    HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has apologised to 8,000 tax credit claimants for sending their bank details to other claimants.
    The department said the mistake was due to a faulty printer which had been used to print 42,000 tax credit award letters, all with some sort of error.

Many of the people whose bank details were exposed live in Northern Ireland.

HMRC has written to their banks warning them to be on the lookout for any evidence of identity theft.

The department said the letters that carried other claimants' bank details did not, however, include their addresses or National Insurance numbers.

"Our understanding is that the information should not be enough to perpetrate fraud," said an HMRC spokeswoman.

The mistake came to light in the last week of April. The claimants and their banks were contacted last week.

Correct award notices are now going out to all those who received ones with errors.

"We have written to all claimants affected to apologise and to advise them what we are doing to protect them," said the spokeswoman.

===================================

Surely the printer only prints what the software send to it. How is a printer going to mix up an award letter and the personal details of the recipient? Strikes me that somebody is trying to deflect attention away from another computer glitch with the tax credits computer system and blame a lowly printer.

Did the spokeswoman work for PC World in a previous life? Oh hang on spokeswoman
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Sounds like a civil service IT spokesperson trying to explain something explained to them by another civil service IT bod. Lord knows what actually happened, they're probably using a ouija board...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It’s probably the story they tell their Labour government feckwit bosses. They will properly get away with it too.
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Working...
      X