• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quiet Questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiet Questions

In the light of the abduction of Madeleine McCann, I've noticed some people beginning to quietly ask questions like

- If the parents had been ordinary, working class city dwellers, would we be seeing the same degree of media attention?

- What were the parents doing leaving their kids alone when there was a baby sitting service provided by the hotel? People who leave their kids alone in this country and where the kids subsequently come to harm, invariably become the subject of police and social services investigations.

Lets all hope this case comes to a positive conclusion and Madeleine is returned safely. I guess though that some of these questions will openly surface afterwards.

Good question, but no parent is perfect. Even model parents can slip up.

I'm sure there are millions of parents in the UK who have been more negligent at some time or another, but without the consequences.

Comment

They were utterly insane to leave her alone...but I guess noone is more aware of that than themselves right now.

If they dont find her, or find her dead, I wouldn't be suprised if one of them killed themselves - thats just too much guilt for any human to cope with.

Horrible, horrible situation.
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
        If they dont find her, or find her dead, I wouldn't be suprised if one of them killed themselves - thats just too much guilt for any human to cope with.
        Doubt it, they have two other children to consider. I think they are probably feeling guilty enough as it is without these insensitive comments being posted by others.

I remember how I felt when I lost two of my kids for 5 minutes in a wildlife park playground. I can't imagine what they are going through, nor would I wish to...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

They were utterly insane to leave her alone....
          No, it is easily done, "just for a few minutes". Lots of people do it. One a million times something happens.

Comment

They were utterly insane to leave her alone...but I guess noone is more aware of that than themselves right now.

SA you seem like an intelligent woman, why post that krap? It makes you look really thick. I don't mean to insult you, I find most of your posts interesting and amusing, but why write that?. There must be hundreds of parents that would have have done the same. I know my parents did. They checked on the kids every 30mins, no-one expects to have their child abducted from under their noses.
            Last edited by XTC; 9 May 2007, 11:52.

Comment

That was my first thought, but afterwards I thought again about whether I would cast the first stone.

I'm afraid to say that very few marriages survive the loss of a child for long, it seems.
              Last edited by Euro-commuter; 9 May 2007, 12:07.
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
                SA you seem like an intelligent woman, why post that krap? It makes you look really thick. I don't mean to insult you, I find most of your posts interesting and amusing, but why write that?. There must be hundreds of parents that would have have done the same. I know my parents did. They checked on the kids every 30mins, no-one expects to have their child abducted from under their noses.

I just wrote out a whole reply to that, but I deleted it.

Lets talk more about this once the bairn is found safe.
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

So speaks someone who does not have children.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I personally would never leave my daughter for more than 5 mins, even then I would be panicking.

Comment

Working...
                    X