• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project possible going legal!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project possible going legal!!

Hello All,

I am a contractor PM on a project that could go legal, I am concerned if there should be anything I should be wary of. I inherited the project about a year in, there has been tons of problems.

Basically the end client and my client have had a very poor relationship and now for a major technical reason, the project is facing a redesign...totally out of scope.

I don't think I have have made any mistakes on the project. Not having any experiences on these things....I have left all major decisions to be made by my client - thank goodness.

I presume, once it does go legal, they won't need my services anymore and will probably terminate my contract 2 months early....

I mean, once my contract is terminated, thats it right, I wouldn't get brought back in for any legal reasons would I??

Bit concerned.

Thanks.

Originally posted by wantacontract
    I don't think I have have made any mistakes on the project. Not having any experiences on these things....I have left all major decisions to be made by my client - thank goodness.
    Do you have an auditable paper trail to back this up.
    e.g. emails, minutes from meetings, project specs and sign offs

Comment

emails.....

basically a lot of decisions, I emailed the client on for them to make the decision....

Couple of Reports, also stated the client (person's name) who made the decision.

Comment

I would suggest you spend some of your remaining time with the client gathering any information possible to confirm what you say.
        e.g copy of your mailbox to PST, print outs etc.

You never know when your contract could get terminated.

Comment

A good stash of emails have saved me in the past. They'll quickly move on to an easier target. A very neat looking and organised notebook is also handy for blame meetings.

Comment

You can't beat a good blame storming meeting.

Comment

well, all the emails on in my personal company mail box, on my company laptop, so the client has only the mails I've sent them.

got a feeling I am going to be looking for work in june....gather thats a bad time to look for work??

Comment

You may well get called as a witness. I've never done this but I've been told it's a horrible experience because it's bound to be the kiss of death for your relationship with at least one of the parties. But it won't lose you any/much money.

They won't/can't sue you unless (a) they reckon they can prove negligence, and from what you say that's unlikely, and (b) they reckon your company is rich enough to be worth suing.

June is so-so to be out of work. Everybody hiring's on holiday, but it's also warm outside.

Comment

Working...
                X