• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of carrying a Swiss Army Knife?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of carrying a Swiss Army Knife?

First check inside your pants.

Crown Prosecution Service does:

Offensive Weapons

When assessing whether the public interest requires a prosecution, the following factors should be considered.
    The age, sex and character of the offender;
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Yeps, we're all equal in the eyes of the law, that's why Justice wears a blindfold.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Become a Sikh and you are allowed to carry a knife for religious reasons.

Comment

I have a swiss army card in my wallet.

Does that make me a thug?
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On

Nope, it makes you a geek.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On

I'm afraid it does. That's a concealed weapon:

Retired soldier arrested for taking tiny knife on train

A RETIRED brigadier has spoken of his shock at being arrested and having DNA samples taken for carrying a tiny utility tool in his luggage.

Tom Foulkes, of Fitzroy Road, Fleet, was on his way to a business trip in France when he found himself on the wrong side of the law.

Mr Foulkes, 56, was with his wife Sally when he was stopped by security while getting ready to board a Eurostar train at Waterloo.

The former Royal Engineer was putting his bag through an x-ray machine when eagle-eyed security staff spotted a tiny knife combined with tools inside it.

Mr Foulkes said: “When I put the luggage through the scanner they spotted it and asked me to open the bag.

“This thing is the size of a credit card and has a tiny little knife on it with a magnifying glass, tweezers and compass.

“It is the type of handy little thing you take abroad with you and I have taken it all over the world and never been stopped before. They said that I was carrying a prohibited item and said that carrying an item like this in a suitcase was committing an offence of carrying a concealed weapon.”

Mr Foulkes said he was taken aback when an officer was called from the British Transport Police and he was arrested. He then found himself being marched to a waiting police van and taken to a police station.

“Although I realise I needed to be polite I told the officer that it was going a bit too far,” said Mr Foulkes.

He said that while at the station he was quizzed for four hours and had his fingerprints and DNA taken.
            A British Transport Police spokesman said: “The law on offensive weapons is a matter of judgement but looking at this it fits the description of a concealed weapon and that was why he was arrested.”

Comment

Why would a (normal)girl carry a swiss-army knife?

Comment

So as long as you wave it about so everyone can see it's ok?

Just carry a 10" long screwdriver apparently it’s not an offensive weapon but if you should be mugged it will come in handy as it will go straight through your assailants heart and out the other side.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                  So as long as you wave it about so everyone can see it's ok?

Just carry a 10" long screwdriver apparently it’s not an offensive weapon but if you should be mugged it will come in handy as it will go straight through your assailants heart and out the other side.
                  For some reason you seem to be confusing "offensive" and "concealed".

A screwdriver carried with the intention of being able to use it as a weapon, is an offensive weapon, whether it be conceailed or not.
                  A fixed-blade knife is an offensive weapon regardless of whether you intend to use it as such, unless you have an acceptable good reason for carrying it. The Swiss Card blade is fixed, so it is an offensive weapon.

A blade that is concealed is, reasonably enough, a concealed weapon. The Swiss Card is also treated as a concealed weapon, though some might argue that it is not concealed since it is not disguised as something other than what it really is.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                    For some reason you seem to be confusing "offensive" and "concealed".

A screwdriver carried with the intention of being able to use it as a weapon, is an offensive weapon, whether it be conceailed or not.
                    A fixed-blade knife is an offensive weapon regardless of whether you intend to use it as such, unless you have an acceptable good reason for carrying it. The Swiss Card blade is fixed, so it is an offensive weapon.

A blade that is concealed is, reasonably enough, a concealed weapon. The Swiss Card is also treated as a concealed weapon, though some might argue that it is not concealed since it is not disguised as something other than what it really is.
                    It's relatively straightforward to kill someone with a credit card... How would you classify that?

Comment

Working...
                    X