• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting into Project Management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting into Project Management

I've decided that I'd like to get into project management - having done support up until now the most natural direction would be to go into 3rd line but I don't fancy it, I don't fancy support manager either - I'd like to go in more of a business oriented direction than heavier tech direction.

Can anyone point me in a good direction to start with? Any good books/websites/certs I should look at? I do have some project experience but nothing really meaty. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Prince2 is possibly the most widely used methodology. As with all skills, the usual chicken/egg situation of skills and experience applies once you actually try to get work in the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
      I've decided that I'd like to get into project management - having done support up until now the most natural direction would be to go into 3rd line but I don't fancy it, I don't fancy support manager either - I'd like to go in more of a business oriented direction than heavier tech direction.

Can anyone point me in a good direction to start with? Any good books/websites/certs I should look at? I do have some project experience but nothing really meaty. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
      PRINCE2 is the standard methodology and a qualification, foundation or practitioner, is often required. Check out the prices of courses and you may find that it's not that much more to do the practitioner. In my (non-techie) experience, both as a project manager and someone project managed, a PRINCE2 qualification tells me that someone knows project management methodology but it doesn't necessarily make them a competent project manager, which among other things takes experience. So if I were to put together a list of things to do, it would be:

- Think of all the projects you've worked in, and extract from each of them project management type activities/responsibilities you've taken on or can reasonably claim to have taken on.
      - See if you can become more involved in project management activities in your current/future contracts (I'm new to contracting so guess this may be harder if you're not a permie) - but you can try to think more like a project manager and identify risks and issues, dependencies, and report progress against and exceptions to whatever plan you're working to (assuming you're working in a project).
      - Alter your CV so past contract don't just focus on what you've delivered, but how you've been involved in projects, e.g. Led the technical workstream of a project to implement new helpdesk: planning timescales, dependencies and resourcse, managing risks and issues, reporting progress/exceptions and delivering within budget, timescale and to the agreed quality standards. Just make sure you can back it up at interview.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for that it's very helpful
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Thanks for that it's very helpful
          Hang on!!!

My suggestion is do an Ecnirp course. You'll be quids in.

Comment

If you do go the Prince 2 route- & once it's on your C.V. it will close doors to technical jobs.
            Also you need to factor in the associated costs of being a P.M. - fedoras, full length rain coats etc
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
              Hang on!!!

My suggestion is do an Ecnirp course. You'll be quids in.
              I had to look that up on google, very funny

Comment

Working...
              X