• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel Expenses - less than 10 miles each way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Expenses - less than 10 miles each way

Is it true that travel expense can only be claimable for journeys over 10 miles? If so, I am not allowed to claim the mileages as it is less than 10 miles going to my client site and back to my home. Please advice.

You can claim 20p/mile for cycling- do that.

Comment

Originally posted by clwd
      Is it true that travel expense can only be claimable for journeys over 10 miles? If so, I am not allowed to claim the mileages as it is less than 10 miles going to my client site and back to my home. Please advice.
      I did a stint that I put down as 9 miles a day, with an occasional 8 and 10 to look like I do actually record my mileage. My accountant never questioned it.

Comment

I'd like to know the answer to this as I am currently claiming for 80m a month which is 4m a day (2m each way to the train station)

Comment

Would you be travelling that distance if you weren't going to work? If not, as I suspect, then it's a business expense. So claim it.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
            Would you be travelling that distance if you weren't going to work? If not, as I suspect, then it's a business expense. So claim it.

Good point. I cetainly don't do it for train spotting!

Comment

Milage Claim

My accountant said these are allowable expenses:

Newspaper 70p per day
              Meals up to £24 per day (but not everyday)
              Milage is 40p per mile and if your registered office is further away (but don't take the mick) that is even better!

There are many more genuine expenses that you can claim without a receipt and don't let an umbrella tell you otherwise.

I spoke about all of you to him and he suggested that you give him a call.

Regards
              Brobi
              Brobi
              Promoting: Complete Contractor as they have helped me!

Comment

And I suggest you don't. Most of those may apply if you are working way from home overnight. £24, for example, is the Civil Service guidelines and is to cover (from memory) £4 Breakfast, £5 Lunch and £15 Dinner - but if you don't have one of them, you can't add it to the others

Ignore the smart alecs, claiming expenses "because you can" is walking the edge of legality. And screws it up for all the honest guys.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Is it worth the bother for £8 per week? I'd rather be free of having to bother with receipts and filling in expense forms than claim for 50 miles worth of travel, but thats just me.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                    And I suggest you don't. Most of those may apply if you are working way from home overnight. £24, for example, is the Civil Service guidelines and is to cover (from memory) £4 Breakfast, £5 Lunch and £15 Dinner - but if you don't have one of them, you can't add it to the others

Ignore the smart alecs, claiming expenses "because you can" is walking the edge of legality. And screws it up for all the honest guys.
                    £24 is a good yardstick of what is acceptable. It doesn't mean that you can claim it just because you are out of the office. It just helps you realise that a £200 meal in Claridges probably isn't a business expense.

Malvolio is generally right, if he says its wrong it usually is!

Comment

Working...
                    X