• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SAP Certification - worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAP Certification - worth it?

Hi all,

I am in a situation, where I could be able to take a SAP certification exam, but I am questioning is it worth it? I have approximately 3 yrs SAP implementation experience (within PP and MM) and at the moment I am working as an employee at a non-Big5-SAP partner company. My goal is to gather at least a year of extra experience "under my belt", and go into full-time contracting after that.
    What I am asking is, that is it easier to get contracts as a certified vis-à-vis non-certified contractor? And how does certification affect the hourly or daily contract rates? I have taken some SAP courses listed as prerequisites for certification, but I know it will take some time and effort to pass the exam.
    Any answers/experiences will be appreciated, thanks!
    Definately! Go directly into contracting with 3 years SAP experience!
    20.00%
    Don't even consider contracting without certification with such a little experience!
    0.00%
    Go for the certification, and get to contracting now! It's contractor's market...
    40.00%
    Work for 1 extra year, then get to contracting
    40.00%

The poll is expired.

If someone else is paying, then go ahead.

Comment

Experience is more important than the certificate for SAP as it's difficult to get in to (unless you're branching out into other areas).

But as Churchill says - if someone else is paying, do it.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

To Churchill

Yes, this is the case. Eventually, I would need to pay back (it's in my contract) some of the SAP courses I've taken, in case I decide to go within 2 years time. But how does the certification affect the rates? Is it +1 € extra per hour etc, or is there any effect? I could imagine that during low season it's safer to have a certificate, but now it seems that it's really "seller's market", so am I wasting my time/money by working for a company? And have you any experience of having to pay course fees back to your employer for the courses taken (within the time-limit in the contract), OR will the next employer usually sort it out? In my case it's around 15k€, so it's kind of a hinder to leave straight away, in case there is no certainty of the future!

Originally posted by Churchill
        If someone else is paying, then go ahead.

Comment

will the next employer usually sort it out?
          ????????????????

The next 'employer' will sort it out - your company will be the next employer. So you will have to take the hit.

The next client will not sort it out. They expect a contractor/business to come in, do the job and leave.

Your question means that you are thinking like a permie. If you want a permanent job paying more next time, that's fine. Otherwise you need to do a lot more research than just what qualifications you need to get the next 'job'.

You need to learn about what makes a self-employed/business contractor.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

I didn't vote because there wasn't a 'Think more carefully about this' button....

Comment

i think certificate makes no difference, it's a case of can you do it do you know it can you answer the questions at the technical interview

pp/mm then you're functional with only one module, from what I have heard for functional agents want 3 or modules undere your belt

all the best, have you considered getting into .Net

Milan.

Comment

Thanks,

Could you give me some examples of the technical interview questions you usually get, when looking for new contracts?
                And are you sure about the agent requirements? Specializing to +3 modules sounds like utopia to me? All the consultants I've ever worked with master maybe 2-3 modules after +5 years (senior level) of relevant SAP work.. of course, there have been these Blueprint experts, who say in their CVs that they pretty much handle everything within SAP R/3 (and R/4 ), and leave the project after the blueprint is done..
                I have done pretty much everything within functional MM (Purchasing/sourcing) and PP (production/planning) and I consider those as separate modules/functions within the company although the integration is evident.

Originally posted by milanbenes
                i think certificate makes no difference, it's a case of can you do it do you know it can you answer the questions at the technical interview

pp/mm then you're functional with only one module, from what I have heard for functional agents want 3 or modules undere your belt

all the best, have you considered getting into .Net

Milan.

Comment

do you have a time machine ?

what is R/4 ?

Milan.

Comment

LOL .. a short reply to your question, YES!

Originally posted by milanbenes
                    do you have a time machine ?

what is R/4 ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X