• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

unilever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unilever

Big drive at the moment for contract staff (.Net, J2EE @ Chester & Wirral), pity they want to pay McDonald wages £225 per day. Had three agents trying to convince me that the rate was market and anyway it was a great chance to join a global company. I dont give two f's if they are small, medium or large company.

The point of being a contractor is for the freedom and earning potential.

When will they get it?
    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Amazing how many household brands are actaully unilever........

A
    Ades
    Elizabeth Arden
    Axe (deodorant)
    B
    Becel
    Ben & Jerry's
    Birds Eye
    Boursin (cheese)
    Bovril
    Breyers
    Brooke Bond
    C
    Chicken Tonight
    Cif
    Colman's
    Continental (Brand)
    Cornetto (ice cream)
    Cotton swab
    Crispy Pancakes (brand)
    Cup-a-soup
    D
    Degree (deodorant)
    Domestos
    Dove (brand)
    F
    Fabergé (cosmetics)
    Findus
    Flora (margarine)
    G
    GB Glace
    G cont.
    Good Humor
    Good Humor-Breyers
    H
    HB (Unilever)
    Hellmann's and Best Foods
    I
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
    Iglo
    Imperial Margarine
    K
    Kibon
    Klondike bar
    Knorr (brand)
    Kwality Wall's
    L
    Lakme cosmetics
    Langnese
    Lawry's and Adolph's
    Lifebuoy (soap)
    Lipton
    Lux (soap)
    M
    Magnum (ice cream)
    Maille (Company)
    Marmite
    O
    Omo (detergent)
    P
    PG Tips
    Peperami
    Persil
    Persil Power
    Persil Service
    P cont.
    Petroleum jelly
    Pond's Creams
    Popsicle
    Pot Mash
    Pot Noodle
    Pot Rice
    Prince Matchabelli
    R
    Ragú
    Rexona
    Rinso
    S
    Scottish Blend
    Selecta
    Skippy (peanut butter)
    Slim Fast
    Snuggle
    Solero
    Spry Vegetable Shortening
    Suave
    Sunsilk
    Surf (detergent)
    T
    Twink (home perm)
    V
    Vermonster
    Viennetta
    W
    Wall's ice cream
    Wish-Bone salad dressing
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 14 May 2007, 18:25.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

"Had three agents trying to convince me that the rate was market and anyway it was a great chance to join a global company"

exactly - why get stiffed on your rate simply becuase it's a big company.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I'm working at Moneysupermarket - the building across the road from Unilever. The rates aren't much better there. Don't know what it is but all the companies around here pay about the same. Probably all the chairmen get together for a round of golf and set the rates. I only took the gig because it's 4 miles from home and the commuting is bliss !

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme
          I'm working at Moneysupermarket - the building across the road from Unilever. The rates aren't much better there. Don't know what it is but all the companies around here pay about the same. Probably all the chairmen get together for a round of golf and set the rates. I only took the gig because it's 4 miles from home and the commuting is bliss !
          yeah, not worth contracting up north anymore.........Manc, liver, Chester......all duff rates
          whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

And it's not even a "chance to join a big company". It's a "chance to sell stuff to a big company". Big tickle.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
              And it's not even a "chance to join a big company". It's a "chance to sell stuff to a big company". Big tickle.
              It all depends on whether "big names" on your CV makes a difference when going for future contracts. I suspect that it does, but have no proof to back it up.

Comment

Originally posted by HankWangford
                Big drive at the moment for contract staff (.Net, J2EE @ Chester & Wirral), pity they want to pay McDonald wages £225 per day. Had three agents trying to convince me that the rate was market and anyway it was a great chance to join a global company. I dont give two f's if they are small, medium or large company.

The point of being a contractor is for the freedom and earning potential.

When will they get it?
                They have always tried it on at Unilever, they were trying to offer 1 year fixed term 'contracts' at 30K pa a few years back when the going rate for contractors in my game was 80K+ pa. It was quite good telling the agents to triple it and you might consider it. A lot of the IT is now with Accenture, is the work not via them ? They usually pay OK especially if it's part of a project but they may be on tight margins at Unilever.

Comment

This sound like the old trick of asking for premium skills but offering a discount rate to demonstrate that there is a ‘skills shortage’ and they need to be able to import staff from overseas.

I am so glad I am out of the game .
                  Drivel is my speciality

Comment

I'm looking for a new contract at the moment and I'm getting the impression that rates are going down quite sharply, and that there are plenty of people willing to accept the lower rates. In the past I've named my rate and only had the occasional agent say it was too much. This time round, the same rate isn't getting any takers (so far). Although there's a fair few jobs, there's also no shortage of contractors. This is where the problem really is - not so much in the companies offering low rates, but with the number of people happy to take them.

I'm talking about web development here, by the way. It's early days in the job hunt, so I'm not too worried at the moment, but it's surprised me to get so many, "That's way too high" comments about a rate I've been charging for the last 7 years without any issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X