• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public transport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public transport

I've just had the displeasure of the once-every-6-months journey on the local city buses, complete with the usual grubby ferals and a miserable driver who appeared to consider it our privilege to travel on his skanky bus and keep him in a job.

Combined with the extortionate fare, is it any wonder that people are retreating to the comfort and safety of their own cars?

Last time I relied on the bus I'd taken my car in for a service for 9am ish, but then I discovered that the busses only ran until 9am on that route. So I ended up walking about 3 miles to get to a bus stop that actually had busses.

Surely all the old and unemployed people that actually use busses have no reason to get up early?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The unemployed folk from the council estates round these parts believe it's extremely important to transport last night's stolen goods to Ca$h Converters before the coppers come knocking on their doors.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
        Last time I relied on the bus I'd taken my car in for a service for 9am ish, but then I discovered that the busses only ran until 9am on that route. So I ended up walking about 3 miles to get to a bus stop that actually had busses.

Surely all the old and unemployed people that actually use busses have no reason to get up early?
        All the old and unemployed people should be made to pull rickshaws when the busses stop running. Two birds with one stone.

Comment

Round where my parents live the over 60's get free bus passes so I would imagine the buses are full of pensioners.

My old man turned 60 the other week. He is looking forward to getting his bus pass and catching a bus for the first time.
          Last edited by Gonzo; 14 May 2007, 22:34. Reason: Poor spelling.

Comment

There's a bit of a vicious circle with public transport these days. People have become so incredibly stuck up that they refuse to get on "skanky buses" with "grubby ferals" (i.e. the same type of buses and passengers as have been around for the last 100 years with no particular complaints). At the same time they have so much spare cash that they can tax, maintain and run a car without blinking an eyelid at the extravagant luxury of doing so. Because of this, demand for public transport has plummetted. Who would bother laying on a bus service after the 9am rush hour for a couple of pensioners and the village idiot? And because there's a poor service because there's no passengers, people can whine, "But I neeeeeed my car. There's no buses round here. I'd use the bus if there was one." *coughbullsh*t*

Comment

Before I gave up on public transport completely (for a number of reasons) I used to like busses. Far prefer them to the tube for getting around London even if they are slower. I loved the route 8 busses. They took me everywhere I wanted to go and they were the last to drop the wonderful Routemasters.
              Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Mrs Wendigo started using the bus this year to get to work. We get one an hour around here because luckily we're en route between two towns.

On the one hand it takes her an hour to travel what used to be a thirty minute car journey.

On the other, she can read her book on the bus, and the bus driver does all the swearing at other motorists.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
                  There's a bit of a vicious circle with public transport these days. People have become so incredibly stuck up that they refuse to get on "skanky buses" with "grubby ferals" (i.e. the same type of buses and passengers as have been around for the last 100 years with no particular complaints). At the same time they have so much spare cash that they can tax, maintain and run a car without blinking an eyelid at the extravagant luxury of doing so. Because of this, demand for public transport has plummetted. Who would bother laying on a bus service after the 9am rush hour for a couple of pensioners and the village idiot? And because there's a poor service because there's no passengers, people can whine, "But I neeeeeed my car. There's no buses round here. I'd use the bus if there was one." *coughbullsh*t*
                  You say that as if it were a bad thing.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I use public transport all the time (£100 per month max in London). And the money I save by not running a car gets whacked into equities.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X